The Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom - Lockdown 2: A Moment Of Déjà Vu And It's November 5th Too

 

Did You Know That V For Vendetta Was Set In 2020?

Hang on a minute, have we been here before? Right now I have just finished a day of cleaning bins out at work to aid in the shutting down of the pub, now I'm facing a month of nothing but free time. In all honesty I'm really excited to have a "month" off, but I also feel a bit guilty for being this excited. I think the biggest reason is because I don't have to make any Christmas themed food in November, but also because I think I'm finally starting to make in roads into this review and music thing. Alongside taking the dog out for winter walks in the woods, I think this is probably the mental rest I was looking for. With all the confusion and craziness going on, it did get overwhelming at times. Anyway, Lockdown 2 is here and I think it is important that we all look out for each other, it won't be like the one in the Spring/Summer, the dark, cold Winter days and nights will effect some people negatively. So, as long as we all help each other to keep our minds active through music and arts, we should be able to weather this storm once again. I believe in this cause so passionately that along with a few of my team mates at Bath Saracens RFC we will be raising money for Mind the Mental Health charity. We will be running 312 miles collectively, to represent every point that we scored in our 2019/20 league winning season. Mental Health has been a massive part of my journey this year, so it seems only fitting that I run to help those that help us. If you would like to donate, feel free to visit out JustGiving page. This will give me something to stay positive for, as alongside donating my hair for charity back in January, I want to do my bit to help others and make the world a better place, through music or otherwise. This virus really has ruined this year but it won't ruin us. I would like to extend my hand to my readers and my inbox is open via the Facebook page or Twitter should anyone feel the need.  

In other news, how bloody annoying are those Christmas adverts already?! Hallowe'en literally fined five seconds ago and I'm already being bombarded with Christmas food, presents and Santa, I'm all for celebrating Christmas, Yule or whatever but not at this point in November! Call me King Théoden because right now I am the living embodiment of the "so it begins" moment of The Two Towers. 

What I'm Listening To At This Very Moment

A little bit of chilled New Age Irish Folk from the legends that are Clannad. I was meant to be seeing them this year, but both gigs (the original and the rescheduled) have been postponed again because of the pandemic, which by this point is very unsurprising. I have fond memories of Clannad, and I thing they're a big contributor, musically anyway towards my fascination in folklore and mythology, because their music is so ethereal and mystical. Plus, on every later album I've heard there is always a really cool Saxophone guy. 

What I've Been Jamming To This Week

A whole plethora of things really, from Svartsyn's new album Requiem and the reissue of Belphegor's Necrodaemon Terrorsathan to BSC's new album The Human Condition. I've just been all over the place really. So, with all this wonderful musical influence flying round me it's going to be hard to specify what I really have been jamming too. I will have to give it to Svartsyn though, Requiem is a no frills, straight to the jugular traditional black metal album that had me thrashing around like no tomorrow. 


V For Vendetta

I'm always in two minds about this particular day in the English calendar. Whilst the day was a day of excitement when I was younger because of the bonfire and fireworks. However, as I've gotten older and began to understand why this day is remembered, it makes me realise that the power of words and ideas is truly phenomenal.

Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. ” 

A quote that has not aged well it seems. The infamous film depicting the vigilante known only as V was released in 2006 and set in this fateful year, 2020. The film which is adapted from Alan Moore's graphic novel has has an eerie resonance and uncanny likeness to the times that we now find ourselves in. This dystopian situation of continuing strange and unprecedented circumstances. I think this film has echoed the sentiments of revolution we all have inside of us, a unified want and need for a better, just and brighter future with the acknowledgement that the system as we know it is broken. It is one of my favourite films and it has only just hit me how eerily close this film is, as an observation it is frighting but as a reality it is vile. Whilst the mask is based off the likeness of religious fundamentalist Guy Fawkes it has morphed into something much more across the globe. Bringing the quote “People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.” forward, this from my observations anyway has become a mentality that the world has embraced. Who knows where we will be in the imminent future, but I hope for all that it is a better one.

In the meantime, I will leave you with the original meaning of the 5th November, the capture of Guy Fawkes and the failed plot to assassinate King James I. This verse adaptation of the folk poem is circa 1870;

   Remember, remember! 
    The fifth of November, 
    The Gunpowder treason and plot; 
    I know of no reason 
    Why the Gunpowder treason 
    Should ever be forgot! 
    Guy Fawkes and his companions 
    Did the scheme contrive, 
    To blow the King and Parliament 
    All up alive. 
    Threescore barrels, laid below, 
    To prove old England's overthrow. 
    But, by God's providence, him they catch, 
    With a dark lantern, lighting a match! 
    A stick and a stake 
    For King James's sake! 
    If you won't give me one, 
    I'll take two, 
    The better for me, 
    And the worse for you. 
    A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope, 
    A penn'orth of cheese to choke him, 
    A pint of beer to wash it down, 
    And a jolly good fire to burn him. 
    Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring! 
    Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King! 
    Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!


Revolution On Our Minds...

That wraps up another Miscellaneous Goings On, life will be a bit strange for me again but I have plenty or reading material and music to keep me occupied. Whilst I sadly won't be attending a firework display, I'll still have a beer! Stay safe and look after your friends, big love as always. 🤘🖤



Comments