The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (25th August 2020)

Another Tiring Week But At Least It's Nearly Autumn!

I have definitely seen the first signs of autumn slowly creeping in this week. It's mad how quickly this year has gone now that I think about it, even with the lockdown feeling like 500 years, the months have definitely flown by. So much has happened for me musically and with the blog and I can't believe I'm now stood at nearly the beginning of September, edging closer to my 10,000 blog hits goal for the year. Fjordhammer has grown so much and I have you readers to thank for keeping me motivated to supply you with quality albums and content. As it stands, this is the 50th weekly edition of The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List, which is quite phenomenal really. Whether you read my ramblings here or not, I am continually grateful and thankful for this opportunity and your support. I definitely want to keep the blog going and expand it further, but I will need to plan all that first! Anyway, with 2020 only 4 months away from finishing forever (Thank the gods, it's been a naff year for live music and I'm dying to perform WW&TPY songs live), and I start to consider some of my albums of the year and 2020 has had some good ones so far, so the next 4 months could be interesting! One thing I would be interested in doing, and I think I've mentioned it before, is to go through each edition of the Weekly Listening List and see how many countries I have featured on these lists, definitely something for me to do this week. With all that in mind, it's time to crack on with this week's lists!


Singles Of The Week

I. Auรฐn (๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Eldborg (Season Of Mist), Atmospheric Black Metal 

II. Nekrokraft (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Return Of The Kvlt (The Sign Records), Black/Death Metal

III. Incantation (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Black Fathom's Fire (Relapse Records), Death Metal

IV. Carcass (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue (Nuclear Blast), Melodic Death Metal

V. Innumerable Forms (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Despotic Rule (Independent), Death Metal

VI. Sunken (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ) - Ensomhed (Vendetta Records), Atmospheric Black Metal

VII. Mercyless (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Rival Of The Nazarene (XenoKorp), Death/Thrash Metal

VIII. Disrupted (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Blood Worship (De:Nihil Records), Death Metal

IX. Benighted (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Serve To Deserve (Season Of Mist), Brutal Death Metal/Grindcore

X. Grave Desecration (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ช) - Eterna Crucifixiรณn (Dunkelheit Produktionen), Black Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Incantation (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Sect of Vile Divinities (Relapse Records), Death Metal 

II. Mercyless (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - The Mother Of All Plagues (XenoKorp), Death/Thrash Metal

III. Putrid (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ช)/Grave Desecration (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ช) - Satanic Union From The South (Dunkelheit Produktionen), Black Metal

IV. Highborne (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Renewal Of The Supreme Being (Independent), Atmospheric Black Metal

V. Onslaught (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Generation Antichrist (AFM Records), Thrash Metal


Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is one that first turned me on to Megadeth. I have never been a massive thrash fan and never will claim to be but I am a big fan of Metallica's first five albums, so I was aware of Megadeth but I never gave them much time out of the shadow of Metallica. However, as I got older I listened to more of Big Dave and started to thoroughly enjoy it, in many ways it has more to it compared to the majority of the Metallica releases after the black album. Anyway, I can also thank a Guitar Hero (can't remember which one) for having Sweating Bullets on it, as it led me in the direction of this album. This week's throwback is;

Megadeth (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Countdown To Extinction (Capitol Records), Thrash Metal

The Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments