The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (11th August 2020)

Being Back To The Grind Has Never Felt So Grinding

Yes, the first couple of shifts after my holiday have been tough, trying to find the motivation to do a job you dislike while thinking about how it is stunting your personal growth is a tough one. Something that I have definitely considered has been just packing it in to focus fully on my musical endeavours, but there is always that constant need for financial stability. Caught between a rock and a hard place as the job market is a shambles at the moment for sure, and when people don't get back to you, it is a very deflating and morale draining process. I have never felt so much desire to get out of somewhere and grow to this extent before and the excitement is putting me on tender hooks. I've been in the hospitality industry for 5 years now, initially just to satisfy my folks with the fact I had money coming in, but now I'm looking down the barrel and targeting something for myself. I'm determined not to miss any opportunity I create for myself. As you can tell, I've had a vast amount of time to think! I won't lay out my whole thought process because you get the picture, the long story short is I'm extremely restless now. Just like the extreme pace of grindcore, I'm addicted to achieving something with purpose and I'm driven by my own need for something meaningful. Hopefully, you will see the result of these motivational factors soon. Anyway, the soundtrack to this self-epiphany has been pretty brutal this week, definitely been tuning in to the faster and heavier side of metal, grindcore especially making a big impact! So, without further ado, this week's lists!

P.S. This heat sucks. 

Singles Of The Week

I. Gojira (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Another World (Roadrunner Records), Progressive/Groove/Death Metal 
II. Incantation (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Entrails Of The Hag Queen (Relapse Records), Death Metal
III. Hiidenhauta (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Levรคkkรถ (Inverse Records), Melodic Black Metal
IV. Finntroll (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Forson (Century Media Records), Blackened Folk Metal
V. Primitive Man (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Entity (Relapse Records), Sludge/Doom Metal
VI. Orbit Culture (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - North Star Of Nija (Seek & Strike), Death/Groove Metal
VII. Skeletal Remains (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Congregation Of Flesh (Century Media Records), Death Metal
VIII. Benediction (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Rabid Carnality (Nuclear Blast), Death Metal 
IX. Paragon Zero (๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ) - Greatest Of All Shadows (Spiritside Productions), Black/Death Metal
X. Ovnev (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Transpiration (Naturmacht Productions), Atmospheric Black Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. P.L.F (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Devious Persecution and Wholesale Slaughter (Six Weeks Records), Grindcore
II. Napalm Death (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - From Enslavement to Obliteration (Earache Records), Grindcore
III. Carcass (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Reek of Putrefaction (Earache Records), Grindcore
IV. Terrorizer (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - World Downfall (Earache Records), Grindcore
V. Napalm Death (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Scum (Earache Records), Grindcore







Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback has been a challenging one, as you can see from this week's albums, I have fully immersed myself in the blisteringly ruthless, brutal and violent world of grindcore. However, there is always room for a few classics! This album always stuck out to me when I started listening to Whitechapel, alongside their latest album, The Valley, it is definitely one of my favourites. This week's throwback is;

Whitechapel (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Our Endless War (Metal Blade Records), Deathcore



Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments