The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (18th August 2020)

It's Been A Quiet Yet Busy Week

Apologies for the lack of reviews this week, it's been quiet on the release front and I have been busy with work and seeing extended family. August has always been a busy month for me traditionally. With this in mind I'm looking into other avenues to expand my content or build on ones that I have  to fill out the quieter weeks between releases. One thing I am sad about this week is knowing I now have virtually no gigs to look forward to this year and I am in desperate need of some live music! I understand that it is still not safe at the moment and with UK coronavirus cases going up by 1,000 yesterday, I don't think it'll be safe for a long time to come. One campaign that has particularly resonated with me is #WeMakeEvents and #LightItInRed movement. Venues across the country have lit themselves red as a 'red alert' for the live industry, as our government has repeatedly failed to properly support the live events industry throughout this pandemic, bar a small amount of money being put aside. As an ambitious musician that wants to get Witchwood Wizard & The Psychic Yeti performing live, this is deeply troubling and worrying news for me. How can we continue to be one of the best music centres in the world if we have no where to perform? The worries keep mounting unfortunately. Knowing I can't control it yet it could put a dampener on my music career is quite depressing really, but with determination I know we'll work through it and come out stronger and brighter. Even in these dark and uncertain times, there will always be a need for some banging tunes, so here's what's kept me entertained this week!

My beloved Gryphon in Bristol, UK, lit up for the #LightItInRed Campaign. Many venues have looked like this across the country and it is a scary and eerie image. Any local West Country folk, if you can, consider donating to the Gryphon's #SaveOurVenues crowdfunded here.

Singles Of The Week 

I. Mors Principium Est (🇫🇮) - A Day For Redemption (AFM Records), Melodic Death Metal 

II. Theotoxin (🇦🇹) - Prayer (AOP Records), Black Metal

III. Mörk Gryning (🇸🇪) - Fältherren (Season Of Mist), Black Metal

IV. Hellripper (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿) - Vampire's Grave (Peaceville Records), Black/Speed Metal

V. Repulsive Vision (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Other Than Devine (Emanzipation Productions), Death Metal

VI. Undeath (🇺🇸) - Lord Of The Grave (Prosthetic Records), Death Metal

VII. Saligia (🇳🇴) - Poison Wine (Ván Records), Black Metal 

VIII. Arrogant Destruktor (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - The Depths Of Empty Space (Analög Ragnarök), Black Metal

IX. Thou (🇺🇸) - Prayer To God (Robotic Empire), Sludge/Drone/Doom Metal

X. Svederna (🇸🇪) - Skuld Och Vita Knogar (Carnal Records), Black Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Saligia (🇳🇴) - Vesaevus (Ván Records), Black Metal 

II. Arrogant Destruktor (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - No Fucking Mercy (Analög Ragnarök), Black Metal

III. Black Crown Initiate (🇺🇸) - Violent Portraits of Doomed Escape (Century Media), Progressive Death Metal

IV. Gutrectomy (🇩🇪) - Slaughter The Innocent (Independent), Slam/Brutal Death Metal/Hardcore

V. Year Of The Knife (🇺🇸) - Internal Incarceration (Pure Noise Records), Hardcore


Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is a bit of a hangover from last week's grindcore binge, but the more I listen to Napalm Death the more I love the raw power and carnage that they unleash upon my ears. So I've been exploring their back catalog and remembered this album from 2015. Was the first Napalm record I really got into, after watching that UK cult classic TV show Skins, I still massively identify with season 5's Rich.  Anyway, this is a carnivorous album that will eat you whole with a Doctor Who Dalek sounding intro.

Napalm Death (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Apex Predator - Easy Meat (Century Media Records), Grindcore

Weekly Listening Playlist 

Comments