The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (20th October 2020)

An Awesome Week With More Awesome Music

It's been a pretty big week in the Fjordhammer camp, for reasons that shall become clear in the not too distant future! I'm just ridiculously happy that I have seemed to have finally made a breakthrough with this music stuff and I can't wait to get started on it. With this in mind 2020 is continuing to deliver quality song after quality song after quality song. Looking back on my own experience, I believe that although lockdown and COVID has hammered the industry into submission, the time to fully decompress and the time to create over those three months, or however long to was in their country, has been brilliant for artists globally. This is a positive slant on it, but if we think about the quality creative output from all our favourite bands, it has been nothing short of phenomenal. I have heard so much quality music in recent weeks that, if you can't tell already, I have been blown away by. Whilst the government continues to fumble on with this pandemic, I'm so glad that so much awesome music has come out to help us all get through it. So, without any further ado, here are this weeks lists.

Singles Of The Week

I. Auðn (🇮🇸) - Verður Von Að Bráð (Season Of Mist), Atmospheric Black Metal

II. Wardruna (🇳🇴) - Kvitravn (Fimbulljod Productions), Nordic Folk

III. Green Druid (🇺🇸) - The Forest Dark (Earache Records), Stoner Doom Metal

IV. Nocte Obducta (🇩🇪) - Der Alte Traum (Supreme Chaos Records), Avant-garde Black Metal

V. Hjelvik (🇳🇴) - Helgrinda (Nuclear Blast Records), Blackened Viking Metal

VI. Fortíð (🇮🇸) - Controlled Patterned Mental Process (Prophecy Productions), Viking/Black Metal

VII. Throane (🇫🇷) - Une Balle Dans Le Pied (Debemur Morti Productions), Black Metal

VIII. Infera Bruo (🇺🇸) - Frayed (Prosthetic Records), Progressive Black Metal

IX. Benediction (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Iterations Of I (Nuclear Blast), Death Metal

X. Artillery (🇩🇰) - Trapped Under Ice (Metal Blade Records), Thrash Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Benediction (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Scriptures (Nuclear Blast), Death Metal

II. Infera Bruo (🇺🇸) - Rites Of The Nameless  (Prosthetic Records), Progressive Black Metal

III. Inferi (🇺🇸) - Of Sunless Realms (The Artisan Era), Technical Melodic Death Metal

IV. Second To Sun (🇷🇺) - Leviathan (Independent), Post-Black Metal

V. Serpent Column (🇺🇸) - Kathodos (Mystískaos), Avant-garde Black Metal


Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is one that I have been enjoying for immensely for the last few years. After watching their livestream on Sunday, Saor have more than cemented their place in my heart as one of my favourite atmospheric black metal bands. Guardians just has it all for me and I love the album so much.

Saor (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿) - Guardians (Season Of Mist), Atmospheric Folk/Black Metal


Weekly Listening Playlist 

Comments