The Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom - Dark Nights & Spiritual Fist Fights



👻 It's Definitely Getting Spooky Around Here! ðŸ‘»

The weather has closed in, throughly kicking the big, glowing, sky lamp into touch. Wind, rain and cold, everything that I love at this time of year. Battening down the hatches and chucking a horror film on to get my adrenaline to surge is also a highlight. One thing that I always think about at this time of year is the spiritual battle between good and evil, as laid out my Christianity. As someone who is spiritual and pagan in my beliefs, I think of the historical aspects of how one night, 31st October, is revered in one sense and despised in another (mainly by evangelical christians). Whilst the origin of Trick or Treating is dates back to the Middle Ages and is distinctly Christian. Called Hallowtide (the eve of All Saint's Day) poor people would go round wealthy houses offering prayers in return for food and beer. Whilst many evangelical groups see Hallowe'en as encouraging devil worship and normalising occult themes, many Wiccans and Pagans it is the seasonal festival of Samhain (originating from Irish Gaelic paganism), a festival called the Feast of the Dead and marks the start of the "darker half" of the year. It is a time of liminality, where the boundaries between this world and the Otherworld can be more easily crossed. Meaning fairies can more easily enter the world. It was also a time where the gods needed to be appeased so, offerings of food and drink were left outside for them. The departed souls of the dead were also believed to revisit their former homes seeking hospitality. Many feasts were had, at which the souls of dead kin were encouraged to attend as a place was set at the table for them. Depending on your persuasion, Wicca or Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan, the rituals and timing would slightly differ. Short history lesson aside, you can see why I am fascinated by this hypothetical spiritual fist fight. The fact that Wicca and Paganism has seen a neo resurgence makes me believe we're all starting to want to break away from institutional monotheistic religions and reconnect with the earth and our roots. Anyway, this is a lengthy debate to have, but I thought I'd shed some light on my thoughts at this time of year! I'm certainly looking forward to the forthcoming "Spooky Season" and seeing the tress turn beautiful shades of orange, red, yellow and brown. I think, if COVID is permitting, I need to visit a pumpkin patch this year. 

What I'm Listening To At This Very Moment


Nothing quite gets you in the Hallowe'en spirit like J.S. Bach! Those opening notes will always send the best kinds of chills down my spine. The Devil's Triad is probably one of the most amazing sounds in music because it sound sinister, mysterious, rebellious, dangerous, enticing, amongst many of the other adjectives I could use. I am inclined to some classical music here and there but it has to have an element of excitement and captivation to it for me to fully engage, although I still hold the firm belief that classical music is acoustic metal, musical virtuosity accompanying loud and raw passages. You can't deny that Beethoven was the original metalhead with is club handed melodies and Grieg was the first Black Metal musician with his tense atmosphere in the Peer Gynt Suite. 

What I've Been Jamming To This Week

I've mainly been revisiting all the classic black metal albums that got me into the genre. Darkthrone and Bathory being the key suspects. You have to imagine the impact that A Blaze In The Northern Sky had on me the first time I listened to it. I was sat researching an essay in Bristol Library, a beautiful building with a massive study hall of old desks in rows. My headphones went on in a deadly quiet room, then boom Kathaarian Life Code blasts into existence and ravishes my unsuspecting soul. However, it was the sound I was looking for, I had been snowed under with progressive metal and needed something more brutal, raw and dark. I found it here.


🎃Jack O'Lanterns: The Pumpkin Lights🎃

One thing I love about this time of year is the legends of Jack O'Lanterns, many legends tell the tale of a man named Jack tricking the Devil, capturing him and the only releasing him on the promise never to takes his soul. As he was barred from Heaven for being too sinful, and barred from Hell as the Devil couldn't take his soul, he was left with nowhere to go. He had no light to guide his way, so Satan mockingly tossed him a lit coal, in which he carved out a turnip (allegedly his favourite food) and placed the coal inside to light his way. He is said to roam the Earth looking for his final resting place. It is also said that the Jack O'Lantern is used to protect ones home against the undead, and for the more superstitious it is used to ward of Vampires as it was said that the Jack O'Lantern's light was a way of identifying vampires and once their identity was known, would give up their hunt for you. One superstition I can't seem to find but I've been told is that leaving Jack O'Lanterns out past Hallowe'en can invite evil spirits into your home. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing these soon!


Another Mad Week For Fjordhammer!🔨

I am overwhelmed at how close I am to my 10,000 hits target for the blog! Last time I checked I was just under 300 hits to go, which is amazing! Thank you all so much for reading and sharing, I've made a conscious effort to up my output this month to similar numbers over the lockdown and it is starting to show. I hope you're all starting to get into the autumnal vibes and the spooky season spirit! Big love and keep rockin'! ðŸ¤˜ðŸ§¡ðŸ–¤



Comments