The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (15th September 2020)

Starting To Balance My Circus Mind And Endeavours

It's been a mad few weeks of which you're all aware but I think I'm finally starting to manage it all and really utilise my time, which is doing wonders for my mood and motivation. It's also been humbling to have shares and feedback on my reviews recently, with my most recent review for stoner/doom metal band VVARP's First Levitations getting all the love from the band and their fans, so big up my Australian readers, thank you so much! Overall it's just been a mad couple of weeks and right now I am so overwhelmed with positivity that I don't know what to do with it apart from soak it all up. So, once again thank you all for your continued and passionate support! In other new, even though 2020 has been a bit of a damp squib, the later half of the year is ramping up in the music department. Starting to see so many good albums and singles dropping, I have high hopes that if and when we get gigs back, it is going to go off in 2021! I've been impressed so far but I think there is a lot more to come. Without any further ado, here is this week's lists.



Singles Of The Week

I. Theotoxin (๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น) - Philosopher (AOP Records), Black/Death Metal
II.  Karg (๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น) - Abbitte (AOP Records), Post-Black Metal
III. Howling Giant (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Rooster (Magnetic Eye Recordings), Stoner/Doom/Psychedelic Rock/Metal
IV. Mรถrk Gryning (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - A Glimpse Of The Sky (Season Of Mist), Black Metal
V. Abduction (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Astral Projection (Inferna Profundus Records), Black Metal
VI. Nocturnal Prayer (๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ) - Leading The Tumbrels Of Affliction (Inferna Profundus Records), Black Metal
VII. Kaunis Kuolematon (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Kylmรค Maa (Noble Demon), Melodic Doom/Death Metal
VIII. Ovtrenoir (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Phantom Pain (Consouling Sounds), Sludge/Post-Metal
IX. Serpent Omega (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Rivers Of Reversed (Icons Creating Evil Art), Sludge/Doom Metal
X. Katavasia (๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Chthonic Oracle (Dry Clean Records), Melodic Black Metal




Albums Of The Week

I. Abduction (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ)/Nocturnal Prayer (๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ) - Intercontinental Death Conspiracy (Inferna Profundus Records), Black Metal 



II. Theotoxin (๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น) - Fragment : Erhabenheit (AOP Records), Black/Death Metal
III. Serpent Omega (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - II (Icons Creating Evil Art), Sludge/Doom Metal
IV. Katavasia (๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Magnus Venator (Dry Clean Records), Melodic Black Metal
V. Martwa Aura (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Morbus Animus (Under the Sign of Garazel Productions), Black Metal




Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is something a bit unusual, however it is just as dark and ambiguous as any black metal album I've listened to recently. Many Vikings fans would recognise the first track instantly and as I've been rewatching the series it's made me revisit this album multiple times. I think Fever Ray is an intriguing anomaly in the music world but in the best way possible. Not afraid to address issues and be up front I think her dark, brooding, unusual, weird and atmospheric songs are pretty metal. This album holds many memories for me as well, and has definitely influenced my music as far as creating interesting, mysterious and intriguing atmospheres. 

Fever Ray (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Fever Ray (Rabid Records), Electropop/Ambient/Trip Hop


Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments