The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (22nd September 2020)

I Don't Even Know What Is Going On Anymore

After last night's announcement of a nationwide curfew starting on Thursday (cause coronavirus is so intelligent it knows how to use a calendar and watch), and more announcements coming today, I just don't know what is going on anymore. Honestly, I just feel embarrassed at the moment, the UK's complete inability to do anything with proper decisive action and refusing to take full responsibility for their hard measures is astounding. Alongside wanting to break international law, this whole country has just become a massive joke, and like I say, I'm embarrassed. Anyway, the only opportunity I'll have to change it will be in 4 years time when there is another election. On a more positive note, the sun is finally starting to bugger off so the true autumnal vibes can start! On more positive notes, it is Hobbit Day and the festival of Mabon, so all my high fantasy and spiritual needs are met today. Alongside this, Witchwood Wizard & The Psychic Yeti release our album today! It will be available on all streaming sites from 12pm today! So, with all this exciting stuff going on, it is easy to see how I'd get confused trying to keep up. Anyway, enough rambling, time for this week's lists. 

Singles Of The Week

I. Wayfarer (🇺🇸) - Vaudeville (Profound Lore Records), Atmospheric Black/Folk Metal
II. Draconian (🇸🇪) - Moon Over Sabaoth (Napalm Records), Gothic/Doom/Death Metal
III. Elcrost (🇻🇳) - Earthbound (Independent), Black Metal
IV. Nachtblut (🇩🇪) - Meine Grausamkeit Kennt Keine Grenzen (Napalm Records), Melodic Gothic/Black Metal
V. Finntroll (🇫🇮) - Att Döda Med En Sten (Century Media Records), Blackened Folk Metal
VI. R.I.P (🇺🇸) - Moment Of Silence (RidingEasy Records), Doom Metal
VII. Benediction (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Stormcrow (Nuclear Blast), Death Metal
VIII. Puteraeon (🇸🇪) - The Curse (Emanzipation Productions), Death Metal
IX. 1782 (🇮🇹) - Hey Satan (Heavy Psych Sounds), Doom/Stoner Metal
X. Déluge (🇫🇷) - Opprobe (Metal Blade Records), Black Metal/Post-Hardcore




Albums Of The Week

I. Finntroll (🇫🇮) - Vredesvävd (Century Media Records), Blackened Folk Metal
II. The Infernal Sea (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Negotium Crucis (Apocalyptic Witchcraft Recordings), Black Metal
III. Ancst (🇩🇪) - Summits Of Despondency (Lifeforce Records), Black Metal/Crust, Drone/Dark Ambient
IV. Sunken (🇩🇰) - Livslede (Vendetta Records), Atmospheric Black Metal
V. Raven Throne (🇧🇾) - Viartannie (Non Serviam Records), Black Metal




Throwback Of the Week

With the weather finally beginning to turn, and it officially being the start of autumn today, I always like to revisit this album. The atmospherics and haunting vocals just resonate with me and remind me of the depths of winter that are about to come. I know Myrkur gets some flack from the black metal community but you can't deny the ingenuity and innovation of this album. I'll always love it and Ulvinde is one of my favourite songs off that album because of it's fusion of folk and black metal in a unique way. So, they week's throwback is;

Myrkur (🇩🇰) - Mareridt (Relapse Records), Atmospheric Black Metal/Folk



Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments