The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (1st September 2020)

It's Nearly Spooky Season!

Alas, even though I wanted to put out more posts this week, I have been struck down by an illness bug, which I'm hoping isn't the dreaded corona and just sinusitis. As such my hearing has been a little impaired, meaning I can focus on much music for a while without searing pain. Anyway, before I was struck down with this awful inconvenience, I did manage to check out some awesome tunes for this week's lists. I am trying everything in my power to get better as quickly as I can so I can make September up a bumper month, in the lead up to that most sacred holiday Hallowe'en. So far, honey in my tea has been working a treat! As autumn starts to close in and eventually show it's colours, I am very much ready for the dark, cold nights, sat reading Gothic Horror or Sagas, with tea in hand. Not very metal I know, but you have to have some simple pleasures in life! It's also the time of year where I really connect with the atmospheres and soundscapes of black metal and experience the music on a whole other level, compared to summer where the cold, evil, darkness of it makes me long for winter and puts that winter mindset in my mind in an attempt that my brain is tricked into reducing my body temperature...it's never worked unfortunately. So, illness and excuses aside, on with this week's metal! 

Singles Of The Week

I. The Infernal Sea (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Devoid Of Fear (Apocalyptic Witchcraft Recordings), Black Metal 

II. Enslaved (🇳🇴) - Urjotun (Nuclear Blast), Progressive Black/Viking Metal
III. Fjord (🇸🇪) - Fara I Viking (Skägg Records), Melodic Black Metal
IV. Griffon (🇫🇷) - L'Ost Capétien (Les Acteurs de l'Ombre Productions), Black Meta
V. Aleynmord (🇺🇸) - Poetry Of Marrow And Rot (AOP Records), Atmospheric Black Metal
VI.  Insidious Disease (🇳🇴) - Betrayer (Nuclear Blast), Death Metal
VII. In Chasms Deep (🇺🇸) - The Wind And Her Lament (Independent), Black Metal
VIII. Skeletal Remains (🇺🇸) - Dissectasy (Century Media Records), Death Metal
IX. Necrophobic (🇸🇪) - The Infernal Depths Of Eternity (Century Media Records), Black/Death Metal
X. Inferi (🇺🇸) - Aeons Torn (The Artisan Era), Technical/Melodic Death Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. Fjord (🇸🇪) - Fara I Viking (Skägg Records), Melodic Black Metal 

II.  In Chasms Deep (🇺🇸) - The Wind And Her Lament (Independent), Black Metal
III. Aleynmord (🇺🇸) - The Blinding Light (AOP Records), Atmospheric Black Metal
IV. Svrm (🇺🇦) - Занепад (Vigor Deconstruct), Black Metal
V. Pig Destroyer (🇺🇸) - The Octagonal Stairway (Relapse Records), Grindcore






Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is an Emperor classic, it really sets the scene for me at this time of year and it is one of my favourite black metal albums. I think Emperor, Darkthrone and Bathory were my entrance bands to to Norwegian/Swedish black metal, but I don't know what it is about this album that still gives me the best kind of chills every time I listen to it. This week's throwback is;

Emperor (🇳🇴) - In The Nightside Eclipse (Candlelight Records), Black Metal



The Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments