The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (9th June 2020)

Another Day In Lockdown Purgatory

The past week has been an eventful one across the country for sure. Firstly I'm proud of my university city and spiritual home of Bristol for tearing down that god awful statue of Edward Colston and throwing him in the river, that has been a highlight. Ultimately the statue should never have been erected, memorialising some who got rich trading in human lives, 19,000 of which would die aboard his slave ships after being taken from their home. The UK is taking strides right now and making history along the way to get the change that we so desperately need in this country. I am still educating and learning, but I have shown my support in another way as well, check out the latest Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom for that. However, with all this heavy duty subject matter being, quite rightly, discussed and acted upon, trying to keep up can be draining. I want to be in the know at all times so I don't miss anything but it has taken tolls on my mental health so it is imperative that we all take a break from time to time, to give ourselves enough space to process and reflect before rejoining the fight. It also seems like I have a government that doesn't care about me or my friends in the retail and hospitality sectors with plans to reopen pubs on the 22nd June, with half-arsed safety measures all in the name of profit. Anyone who lives in or has been to the UK knows how big our drinking culture is and after a few pints you aren't going to keep social distancing and the thing will keep spreading. Although nothing is fully confirmed I do feel that I'm going to be back in work well before it is actually safe to be there. So, as I usually do to escape the world I've turned to music and have found some absolute bangers this week!


Singles Of The Week

I. Wardruna (πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄) - Lyfjaberg (Fimbulljod Productions), Nordic Folk
II. Orewoet (πŸ‡³πŸ‡±) - Feeding The Ocean With Blood (Heidens Hart Records), Black Metal
III. Nekrokraft (πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ) - Witches Funeral (The Sign Records), Black Metal
IV. Selbst (πŸ‡»πŸ‡ͺ) - The Depths Of Selfishness (Debemur Morti Productions), Black Metal
V. Exhumed (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Buried To Die (Relapse Records), Death Metal/Grindcore
VI. Clayshaper (πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ) - The Waves (Independent) Black Metal
VII. Gruesome (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Led Into The Dark (Relapse Records), Death Metal
VIII. Dope Smoker (🏴󠁧󠁒󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿) - Black Nirvana (Dense(s) Records), Doom/Stoner Metal
IX. Imperial Triumphant (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Rotted Futures (Century Media Records), Avant-garde/Technical Black/Death Metal
X. Armagedda (πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ) - Ond Spiritism (Nordvis Produktion), Black Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. Exhumed (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ)/Gruesome (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Twisted Horror (Relapse Records), Death Metal/Gridncore
II. Dope Smoker (🏴󠁧󠁒󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿) - Zeroin (Dense(s) Records), Doom/Stoner Metal
III. Armagedda (πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ) - Svindeldjup Γ„ttestup (Nordvis Produktion), Black Metal
IV. Zeal & Ardor (πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­) - Devils Is Fine (Radicalis Music), Avante-garde Metal
V. Vulgarite (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Fear Not The Dark Nor The Sun's Return (Birds Before The Storm), Atmospheric Black/Doom Metal

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is one that fans of Flying Whales will enjoy. Gojira have a very distinct groove and sound that sets them apart from the rest and I remember being blown away when I first heard this album. So, with no further introduction, this week's throwback is;

Gojira (πŸ‡«πŸ‡·) - The Way Of All Flesh (Roadrunner Records), Progressive/Groove/Death Metal



Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments