The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (23rd June 2020)

And So It Begins...

Quoting King Theoden at the battle of Helms Deep is becoming a habit of mine to say the least. Given that the lockdown is easing, returning back to normality really is beginning to come real. It hasn't been a bad few months in terms of the blog and my latest project Witchwood Wizard & The Psychic Yeti. It has be awesome to really focus on my writing and my music over this time and I'm starting to see some awesome results. I don't believe I will every get such a significant amount of time to fully focus on them in this way again, so I feel quite accomplished to be in the position that I am now with it. I love being creative for days at a time and I'll miss this little musician/artists life I've been living, feel truly free of the stress of work you don't want to do whilst still getting paid. I still have my reservations with the gradual reopening of the country and I've made you all very aware of those after the last few weeks. However, having seen the things that the company is having to put in place makes it feel like it isn't safe at all to return to work and it is something that gravely worries me at this moment in time. It has been unprecedented times but profits over people is the biggest bullshit policy that our government has seemed to adopt. Never mind a 65,000+ death rate, we need to get the economy going. I think coronavirus has highlighted the ineptitude of our government and the inflexibility of our governing system. Honestly, if I could hurl myself off this god forsaken island I would. I probably sound quite over dramatic about it to some of you but I'm sure the concerns are the same. Anyway, with the world going to shit there is only one thing to do, crank up the music and vent it all out.


Singles Of The Week

I. Fellwarden (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Scafell's Blight (Eisenwald), Atmopsheric Black Metal 
II. Drouth (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - A Crown Of Asphodels (Translation Loss Records), Black/Death Metal
III. Ensiferum (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Andromeda (Metal Blade Records), Epic Folk Metal
IV. Primitive Man (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - The Lifer (Relapse Records), Sludge/Doom Metal 
V. A Diaboli (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Ave Satanas (Independent), Black Metal
VI. The Rite (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ/๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น) - Necromancy (Iron Bonehead Productions), Black/Doom Metal
VII. Vile Tyrant (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Of Flesh And Blasphemy (Independent), Melodic Black Metal
VIII. Aversio Humanitatis (๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ) - The Sculptor Of Thoughts (Debemur Morti Productions), Black Metal
IX. Eisregen (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Mutter Schneidet (Massacre Records), Gothic Black/Death Metal
X. Fornicus (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Stormwolves (Negative Earth Records), Black/Death Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. Atavist (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - III: Absolution (Candlelight Records), Doom Metal 
II. Lamb Of God  (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Lamb Of God (Nuclear Blast), Groove Metal
III. A Diaboli (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - The Sweet Death (Independent), Black Metal
IV. The Rite (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ/๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น) - Liturgy Of The Black (Iron Bonehead Productions), Black/Doom Metal
V. Vile Tyrant (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Consummation Of The Black Arts (Independent), Melodic Black Metal


Throwback Of The Week

Since I've been listening to a fair bit of Lamb Of God this week and that I've been doing a lot of individual changing and reflecting, it only makes sense for the Throwback Of The Week to be an album that brings back memories of good times and an album that got be into the band. From its slow build intro to its explosive end Wrath has been a monumental album for me. This week's throwback is ;

Lamb Of God (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Wrath (Roadrunner Records), Groove Metal



Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments