The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (31st March 2020)

Isolation Headbangers To Stop You Banging Your Head Against A Wall

As mentioned in The Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom, I have only done a week of this blasted isolation and I have felt like banging my head against a wall in frustration on multiple occasions. However, it is a necessity and for those of us following the rules, we'll get through it. Anyway, enough dwelling on the bad, I have had ample time to get through some black metal artists and various albums I've been meaning to listen to in the obscure depths of Spotify. It's definitely been an interesting journey to say the least! I think music, unsurprisingly, has been the one thing that has been keep me, and probably many others, sane. Whilst I look at the same four walls my mind is transported to different realms through albums from across the world. I'll have to do a spreadsheet mapping all the countries I've featured on this list and how many times that country has been featured, I could probably bet that the Nordic countries will be top of the pile but there's quite a few in there that surprised me, Mongolia (The HU) being one of them! It would certainly make for some interesting findings, its not like I'm short on time to go through all 30 weeks of Weekly Listening Lists! I just realised that I've probably mentioned something like this before so I'm probably just going to have to bite the bullet and do it. Anyway, enough waffle from me, time for this week's lists.




Singles Of The Week

I. Whoredom Rife (🇳🇴) -  En lenke smidd i blod (Terratur Possessions), Black Metal
II. Vögel (🇮🇸) - Mér líður svo illa (Independent), Progressive Death Metal
III. Malevolence (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Remain Unbeaten (Malevolated), Hardcore
IV. Acârash (🇳🇴) - Satanic Obsession (Dark Essence Records), Black/Doom Metal
V. Elfsgedroch (🇳🇱) - Door de duivel gehaald (Diaphora Produktion), Black Metal
VI. Decrepit Cadaver (🇨🇱) - The Quantic Fracture (Unmatched Brutality Records), Death Metal
VII. Abysmal Dawn (🇺🇸) - Soul-Sick Nation (Season Of Mist), Death Metal
VIII. Serpent Column (🇺🇸) - Antihelical (Mystískaos), Avant-Garde Black Metal/Mathcore
IX. Asarhaddon (🇩🇪) - Die Vergängnis erwacht (Geisterasche Organisation), Black Metal
X. Violet Cold (🇦🇿) - Noir Kid (Independent), Multiple Genres

Albums Of The Week

I. Vögel (🇮🇸) - Ómstríð (Independent), Progressive Death Metal
II. Elfsgedroch (🇳🇱) - Gedoemd tot de eeuwige jacht (Diaphora Produktion), Black Metal
III. Serpent Column (🇺🇸) - Endless Detainment (Mystískaos), Avant-Garde Black Metal/Mathcore
IV. Asarhaddon (🇩🇪) - Reysa (Geisterasche Organisation), Black Metal
V. Violet Cold (🇦🇿) - Noir Kid (Independent), Multiple Genres

Throwback Of The Week

It's probably appropriate for the time and has a lot of killer riffs in it. I remember hearing the opening track live at The Marble Factory as part of Impericon's Never Say Die! tour in 2016 which had a lineup of Whitechapel, Fallujah, Thy Art Is Murder, Make Them Suffer and this week's throwback Carnifex!

Carnifex (🇺🇸) - Slow Death (Nuclear Blast), Deathcore




The Weekly Listening Playlist 

Comments