The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (24th March 2020)

Lockdown 

It was declared last night that the country is in lockdown and I'm getting screwed over by my job refusing to pay me for three weeks such is the greed of ultra capitalist companies. Anyway, I won't dwell on that, we need to be spreading love and kindness, as per my message in the recent Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom. As we sit at home, wondering what to do with ourselves, it is a great time to do something different, and maybe learn a thing or two. The majority of us I feel however, shall be chilling to music and binging box sets on Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon Prime, etc. For me it's unsurprisingly music, and I've been really getting into my doom metal this week. There is something about the slow and heavy dirge marching towards you that really chills me out, especially the more psychedelic side. Accompanied by the ever present Ozric Tentacles you can see I'm trying to take trips outside my own mind through their music and escape reality for a bit. What I think we'll find more annoying though is that the weather is glorious and we have to be hauled up inside (for an important and big reason). Whilst many of us want to "cancel" 2020, it will still go on and I'm still expecting some big releases coming our way in the remainder of the year. So without further ado, this weeks lists;



Singles Of The Week

I. Electric Wizard (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Funeralopolis (Rise Above), Doom/Stoner Metal
II. Purple Hill Witch (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Astral Booze (Church Within Records), Doom Metal
III. Acid Witch (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Trick Or Treat (Hells Headbangers Records), Psychedelic Doom Metal
IV. Heaven Shall Burn (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - รœbermacht (Century Media Records), Deathcore 
V. Creptum (๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท) - Devouring Mother (Mutilation Productions), Black Metal
VI. Nyrst (๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Nรกstirni (Dark Essence Records), Black Metal
VII. Medico Peste (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Holy Opium (Season of Mist Underground Activists), Black Metal
VIII. The Acacia Strain (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Solace & Serenity (Rise Records), Deathcore
IX. Lucifer (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช/๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ/๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Coffin Fever (Century Media), Doom Metal
X. Otis (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Lyndales (Independent), Southern Rock

Albums Of The Week

I. Acid Witch (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Stoned (Hells Headbangers Records), Psychedelic Doom Metal 
II. Electric Wizard (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Dopethrone (Rise Above), Doom/Stoner Metal
III. Heaven Shall Burn (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Of Truth & Sacrifice (Century Media Records), Deathcore 
IV. Lucifer (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช/๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ/๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Lucifer III (Century Media), Doom Metal
V. Myrkur (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ) - Folkesange (Relapse Records), Folk/Black Metal

Throwback Of The Week

This weeks throwback comes as a result of me listening to a fair bit of Black Sabbath and soaking in the doom vibes. It's probably my favourite Sabbath album and it needs no introduction;

Black Sabbath (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Master Of Reality (Sanctuary Records), Heavy Metal



Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments