The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (26th August 2019)

My mum said I looked like Professor Snape...

A new feature on Fjordhammer Music? Why yes indeed! 

With 2019 being an absolute onslaught for album releases. Upon the realisation that I cannot review them all, no matter how much I want to, I have decided to put together my comprehensive list of what you should listen to and check out this week. From underground hidden gems to modern mega metal monoliths accompanied by vintage and ancient music from the depths of time, what ever albums or singles have made their mark on me that week. With a mixture of subgeneres from across the metal landscape, there should, in theory, be something here for everyone to enjoy! I want to mainly focus on songs and albums that I haven't reviewed but a couple of previously reviewed songs and albums may creep in, but I'll link them to the reviews. However, whilst I am no great teacher, there is no excuse for not doing your weekly metal assignments and missing out on the content provided in the recommended reading list. 

Singles Of The Week

I. Alcest (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Protection (Nuclear Blast), Blackgaze
II. Opeth (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Svekets Prins/Dignity (Moderbolaget Records/Nuclear Blast), Prog. Metal 
III. Goatess (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Dunerider (Svart Records), Doom/Stoner Metal
IV. Warforged (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - We've Been Here Before (The Artisan Era), Progressive Black/Death Metal
V. The Vintage Caravan (๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Craving (Nuclear Blast), Blues/Stoner Rock
VI. Stray From The Path (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Kickback (UNFD), Hardcore
VII. Pijn & Conjurer (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Endeavour (Holy Roar Records), Sludge/Doom Metal
VIII. 1349 (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Enter Cold Void Dreaming (Season Of Mist), Black Metal
IX. Creeping Death (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Bloodlust Contamination (eOne), Death Metal
X. Onslaught (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - A Perfect Day To Die (AFM Records), Thrash Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. Osiah (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Kingdom Of Lies (Unique Leader Records), Deathcore 
II. Holy Fawn (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Death Spells (Triple Crown Records), Post-Black
III. Harms Way (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Posthuman (Metal Blade Records), Hardcore
IV. Sargeist (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Let The Devil In (Moribund Records), Black Metal
V. Ingested (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Call Of The Void (Unique Leader Records), Extreme Metal

Throwback Of The Week

Reliving the inner DropDead scene kid in me. Revisited this absolute gem from back in 2008 a few days ago and it is still as heavy as it was back then, back in the glory days when Oli did harsh vocals (I do like amo & That's The Spirit, but this still tops them).

This weeks throwback;

Bring Me The Horizon (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Suicide Season


So there we have it, the first Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List! I hope you check out and enjoy some of my recommendations. See you next week!


Comments