The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (6th April 2021)

One Week Closer To Relative Normality...

So, the UK (more specifically England) is continuing on its Lockdown Road Map and we shall start seeing some semblances of normality in the next week. Which means I will be returning to the day job to keep the funds coming in. I'm kind of sad and happy at the same time. I've enjoyed really pursuing my musical ambitions with all this free time on furlough, I've become so determined to achieve this goal and now it feels so tangible I'm reluctant to go back. I'm also happy as I get to see my work colleagues and get out the house on a semi-regular basis whilst earning more money (in theory anyway, I've lost track of how furlough top up works). Lockdown has definitely been a rollercoaster but I think I'm that longing for normality I can't help but feel upbeat even though it means going back to work. Anyway, I'll worry about that next week, because now I'm all about getting those tunes playing! Had the privilege to listen to some awesome albums for Noizze and RAMzine this past week or so and I've been blown away by some incredible talents. Whilst the weather is struggling to make its mind up, I am firming up my summer playlists, so when I can sit in the fields all day I have some absolute bangers to listen too. I've also purchased Kingdom Come: Deliverance and The Witcher 3 for PS4 and that has me exploring game soundtracks, I'll always marvel at how well composed they are. Anyway, before I go off on a tangent, let's get on with this week's lists!

Songs Of The Week

I. Mare Cognitum (🇺🇸) - Luminous Accretion (Extraconscious Records), Atmospheric Black Metal

II. Wandar (🇩🇪) - Raunen (Vendetta Records), Black Metal

III. Second To Sun (🇷🇺) - A Fortress Clad In Gray Fog (Independent), Black Metal

IV. Dödsrit (🇸🇪) - Shallow Gaves (Wolves Of Hades), Black Metal/Crust

V. Nekromantheon (🇳🇴) - Dead Temples (Indie Recordings), Thrash Metal

VI. Sordide (🇫🇷) - Je N'ai Nul Pays (Les Acteurs de l'Ombre Productions), Black Metal

VII. Äera (🇩🇪) - Der Masse Geborgenheit (Crawling Chaos), Black Metal

VIII. Odal (🇩🇪) - Der kalte Nächte Atem (Eisenwald), Black Metal

IX. Havamal (🇸🇪) - Nidhoggr (Art Gates Records) , Melodic Death Metal

X. Endseeker (🇩🇪) - Count The Dead (Metal Blade Records), Death Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Wandar (🇩🇪) - Landlose Ufer (Vendetta Records), Black Metal

II. Mare Cognitum (🇺🇸) - Solar Paroxysm (Extraconscious Records), Atmospheric Black Metal

III. Äera (🇩🇪) - Schattenfall (Crawling Chaos), Black Metal

IV. Nordicwinter (🇨🇦) - Sorrow (Hypnotic Dirge Records), Atmospheric Depressive Black Metal

V. Unflesh (🇺🇸) - Inhumation (Independent), Technical Death Metal


Discovery Of The Week

Keeping in theme with the German domination of this week's list, I have had the pleasure of acquainting myself with Coilshift this week. Fusing modern black metal sounds, prog sensibilities with deeply atmospheric and rich textures. All from the mind of Sascha Rissling (ex-Der Weg einer Freiheit)

Coishift (🇩🇪) - enoq (Independent), Progressive Post-Black Metal

Throwback Of The Week

Really feeling my atmospheric stuff at the moment. Finally managed to get out and explore some woodland recently that just brings all the magic of nature back into my soul. One band that always brings that into their music is Wolves In The Throne Room. Their latest album is a masterpiece in my opinion, capturing complex emotions with soaring atmospheres. 

Wolves In The Throne Room (🇺🇸) - Thrice Woven (Artemisia Records), Atmospheric Black Metal


Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist 

With new updated image!

Comments