The Fjordhammer Weekly Listening List (20th April 2021)

The Glorious Sunshine & Plenty Of Metal

I've been on a pretty big death metal hype the past couple of weeks. Partially for the hype of the new Cannibal Corpse album, Violence Unimagined, but I've just genuinely enjoyed the heat of the sun and the crush death beats. No idea, it's like the icy winter has melted away, taking the shadow realms of black metal with it in favour for the burning hellfire and brutality of death metal. Anyway, as summer starts to slowly take hold there is something so nice about waking up and seeing the sun beaming through the curtains. Simple pleasures and all that. The last week has been a rollercoaster of emotions dominated by positivity and happiness alongside the social anxiety of returning back to work whilst still unvaccinated. I won't go on about that because I'd be right in saying that we're all sick of that and we're just happy to have some semblance of normality again. It seems strange to think about the normality we had pre-pandemic, because the more I think about it, without this pandemic I believe that I wouldn't be anywhere near the place I am now, with the people I have around me and the success that I've worked for (I say work but I enjoy it so it doesn't feel like work). Now I'm heading into a glorious summer filled with music and hopefully before the year is out I get a much needed change of scenery and a holiday. Which I'll discuss at a later date as I have plans to do a "Fjordhammer On Tour" type thing, as I know it will be fun. The quality of releases continues to push into the upper echelons creating new standards and boundaries to be pushed. It is such an exciting time to be a metal fan right now! So without further ado, here are this week's lists. 


Songs Of The Week

I. Skraeckoedlan (🇸🇪) - Arise The Sun (The Sign Records), Psychedelic Stoner Metal/Rock

II. Spectral Wound (🇨🇦) - Imperial Saison Noire (Profound Lore Records), Black Metal

III. Noctule (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Evenaar (Church Road Records), Atmospheric Black Metal

IV. Avertia (🇳🇴) - De Villeste Makter (Norwegian Dark Arts), Black Metal

V. Vreid (🇳🇴) - Into The Mountains (Season Of Mist), Melodic Black Metal

VI. Endseeker (🇩🇪) - Mount Carcass (Metal Blade Records), Death Metal

VII. Seth (🇫🇷) - Les Océans Du Vide (Season Of Mist), Black Metal

VIII. Hippie Death Cult (🇺🇸) - Hornet Party (Heavy Psych Sounds), Stoner/Doom Metal 

IX. Desaster (🇩🇪) - Learn To Love The Void (Metal Blade Records), Black/Thrash Metal

X. To The Grave (🇦🇺) - Pest Control (Unique Leader Records), Deathcore 


Albums Of The Week

I. Spectral Wound (🇨🇦) - A Diabolic Thirst (Profound Lore Records), Black Metal

II. Avertia (🇳🇴) - Når Nordavinden Kaster Kniver (Norwegian Dark Arts), Black Metal

III. Endseeker (🇩🇪) - Mount Carcass (Metal Blade Records), Death Metal

IV. To The Grave (🇦🇺) - Epilogue (Unique Leader Records), Deathcore 

V. Nunslaughter (🇺🇸) - Eastern Illusion (Independent), Death Metal

Discovery Of The Week

This week's discovery hails from the great continent of Australia. EOS have a haunting and visceral black metal sound backed with dissonance and aggression. Mixing doom laden riffs, old school production and modern grimness. 

EOS (🇦🇺) - The Great Ascension (Brilliant Emperor Records), Black Metal

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is coming at you from way back in 1995, a year before my existence on this Earth came to fruition. A brutally fast and precise old school death metal album from the legends that are Suffocation. As I said I've been on a big death metal hype the past couple of weeks and it was hard to decide between Suffocation and Cattle Decapitation but Suffocation just edged it (maybe next week Cattle Decap?). Pierced From Within is a savage and merciless album that brings plenty of death and a splash of doom for good measure.

Suffocation (🇺🇸) - Pierced From Within (Roadrunner Records), Brutal/Technical Death Metal

Favourite Song:

Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments