The Fjordhammer Weekly Listening List (13th April 2021)

Name Changes But The Content Remains The Same

I'd been debating dropping 'The Metal Scholar' gimmick for a while now, in a way to make things more cohesive. Rather sadly, it was spawned out of a self-deprecating joke, as I was one of maybe three or four metalheads on my production course at university and my alleged encyclopaedic knowledge of all things riffs and Satan made me take the piss out of myself to try and fit in. Anyway, the picture of myself was starting to annoy me, not in a bad way but it felt like it was clinging on to a not too distant past that was filled with negativity despite the achievement of a degree qualification. Anyway, I won't be dwelling on that much more, so we say Hejdå, Ha det,  Farvel and Tschüss to The Metal Scholar  (all previous The Metal Scholar editions can still be found under the label link) and welcome in the all new (but not new) Fjordhammer Weekly listening list! The picture is of my Mjölnir and arm ring dangling from a tree in the woods near me during that one proper snow day we had a couple of months ago. I think it is rather fitting for the page and this is how it shall remain from here on out. I hope you all welcome the change and delight in not seeing my awful Professor Snape style graduation photo! So, the heavy music world is continuing to pound our heads with solid release after solid release. It's becoming ridiculous how many consistently good releases are appearing now, the back log certainly seems to grow day by day! Without any further ado, lets get cracking with the all new Fjordhammer Weekly Listening list! 

Songs Of The Week

I. Gojira (🇫🇷) - Into The Storm (Roadrunner Records), Progressive/Groove/Death Metal

II. Sur Austru (🇷🇴) - Cel din urmă (Avantgarde Music), Atmospheric Folk/Black Metal

III. Saille (🇧🇪) - Suffering Sanctuary (Black Lion Records), Symphonic Black Metal

IV. Mystic Rites (🇵🇱) - Pakt (Dark Terror Temple), Black Metal

V. King Of Asgard (🇸🇪) - Kvikr (Trollmusic), Melodic Death/Viking Metal

VI. Carnifex (🇺🇸) - Dead Bodies Everywhere (Nuclear Blast), Deathcore

VII. Goath (🇩🇪) - Epitome Of Perpetual Rage (Ván Records), Black/Death Metal

VIII. Sepiroth (🇳🇱) - Embedded Defects (Petrichor), Death Metal

IX. Hideous Divinity (🇮🇹) - Chestburst (Century Media Records), Death Metal

X. Ereb Altor (🇸🇪) - The Twilight Ship (Hammerheart Records), Viking/Black Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Sur Austru (🇷🇴) - Obârșie (Avantgarde Music), Atmospheric Folk/Black Metal

II. Arx Atrata (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿)/Bleakwinter Shirne (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) -The Warrior Cycle (Independent), Instrumental Atmospheric Black Metal

III. Mānbryne (🇵🇱) - Heilsweg: O udręce ciała i tułaczce duszy (Terratur Possessions), Black Metal

IV. Saille (🇧🇪) - V (Black Lion Records), Symphonic Black Metal

V. Goath (🇩🇪) - III: Shaped By The Unlight (Ván Records), Black/Death Metal

Discovery Of The Week

Mānbryne (🇵🇱) - Heilsweg: O udręce ciała i tułaczce duszy (Terratur Possessions), Black Metal

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback I think is an interesting one, as it was one of the first black metal albums (bar the usual ones, Mayhem, Darkthrone, etc.) that really grabbed my attention, especially with its opening track. Bringing the fury of black metal together with almost romantically dark melodies, Dark Funeral's Where Shadows Forever Reign will always be a comfort album of sorts, I can't explain why but either way it's a damn good album.

Dark Funeral (🇸🇪) - Where Shadows Forever Reign (Century Media Records), Black Metal

Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments