The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (2nd February 2021)

New Month, Same Ol' Situation

Thankfully, the five centuries of January are now done and dusted, so I feel a lot happier and I hope February brings new opportunities. I think some of the most exciting news for me was a new Cannibal Corpse album coming out in April, as the new single is destructive as hell! Although Pat has been understandable replaced it is a bit bittersweet. Anyway, I think the release year starts to heat up around this time of year and with the 2021 festival and tour cancellations starting to happen, we need those releases more than ever, as we enter this horrific dรฉjร  vu situation again. The other news is obviously the whole Marylin Manson situation, from what I have read it is utterly disgusting and inexcusable behaviour and it comes pretty much after I watched a BBC documentary about women's experiences in the music industry, I've linked it here for those that are interested. It's becoming increasingly concerning that these people are allowed to still have a creative platform and still being facilitated by record labels because they make them a profit. The fact that Manson himself has failed to truly face up to the accusations, for me, shows a significant truth in the matters he is accused of. Thankfully all major things that he is a part of have dropped him and I know that some authority in LA has launched an investigation and I hope that he is held to account and is rightfully put in prison. Anyway, enough about that incomprehensible piece of shit for now, let's get on with these tunes. 

Singles Of The Week

I. Cannibal Corpse (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Inhumane Harvest (Metal Blade Records), Death Metal

II. Sargeist (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Moon Growing Colder (Moribund Records), Black Metal

III. BAEST (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ) - Necro Sapiens (Century Media Records), Death Metal

IV. Atra Vetosus (๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ) - Azure; Frozen (Immortal Frost Productions), Melodic Black Metal

V. Portrayal Of Guilt (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - My Immolation (Closed Casket Activities), Black Metal/Hardcore

VI. Kvรถl (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Boreal Winds (Independent), Black Metal

VII. Tvinna (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช/๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ/๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ญ) -  Partus (By Norse Music), Progressive Dark Electronica Pop

VIII. Heriot (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Recreant (Independent), Hardcore/Sludge/Industrial

IX. Dodenkrocht (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Light Of The Martyr (Auric Records), Black Metal

X. Kal-El (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Spiral (Majestic Mountain Records), Doom/Stoner Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Atra Vetosus (๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ) - Even The Dawn No Longer Brings Hope (Immortal Frost Productions), Melodic Black Metal

II. Sargeist (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Let The Devil In (Digital Deluxe) (Moribund Records), Black Metal

III. Portrayal Of Guilt (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - We Are Always Alone (Closed Casket Activities), Black Metal/Hardcore

IV. Kvรถl (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Changeling Fire (Independent), Black Metal

V.  Dodenkrocht (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Death Worship (Auric Records), Black Metal


Throwback Of The Week

I've been getting back into my doom metal recently, so this weeks throwback is an album that me and a mate sat through whilst playing Tony Hawk the other night. It's very Sabbath-esque but packs a pretty heft punch in the riff department. I love the psychedelic and obscure themes in the album as it allows you to fully space out and enjoy the music. This week's throwback is;

Purple Hill Witch (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Purple Hill Witch (The Church Within Records), Doom Metal


Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments