The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (8th December 2020)

I Can't Believe How Quickly Christmas Is Creeping Up On Us

Well, 8 days in I've lost Whamaggedon and I've lost the challenge to not hear Mariah Carey, it sucks as I was doing so well and making every effort to avoid those songs. Even so, it's mad how quickly December is going, three weeks away from the end of 2020 already. Seems like November lasted years and January didn't even happen. The more I reflect, the more I realise how strange this year has been and if it wasn't for music I don't think I'd have got through it all as well as I have. The evidence being all the posts you see on the left hand side of the page. Part of me is becoming more optimistic about 2021, seeing that people are now getting vaccinated and as a result I'm praying for the return of live music as I am dying to walk into a dark room, that smells of beer and sweat, and just lose myself in the moment. It's so close now it is starting to feel tangible, dare we dream of attending those gigs that we had planned in March next year? I think we can all agree it is the tonic we all need to cure our spiritual ailments after such a mentally draining year and I am praying that it happens. Also that I can start to realise my travel dreams but that is a discussion for another post. Anyway, I am far away from the usual Christmas songs as you'd expect, and just immersing myself in the dark and magic of black metal on these cold winter nights. So, on with this week's lists!

Singles Of The Week

I. Architects (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Black Lungs (Epitaph Records), Progressive Metalcore

II. Gravebomb (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Eaters Of The Dead (Independent), Death Metal

III. Endezzma (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - The Name Of The Night Is A Strong Tower (Dark Essence Records), Black Metal

IV. Fortรญรฐ (๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Son Of A Barren Land (Prophecy Productions), Viking/Black Metal

V. Sergeant Thunderhoof (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Cloudbusting (Pale Wizard), Psychedelic Stoner/Doom Metal

VI. Empyrium (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - รœber Den Sternen (Prophecy Productions), Symphonic Folk/Doom Metal 

VII. Gamma Bomb (๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง/๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Lords Of The Hellfire Club (Prosthetic Records), Thrash Metal

VIII. Nominon (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Of Ancient Craft (Emanzipation Productions), Death Metal

IX. Sophist (๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ) - Vultures Pick A Corpse Clean (Niflhel Records), Black Metal/Grindcore

X. Eyehategod (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - High Risk Trigger (Century Media Records), Sludge/Doom Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Green Druid (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - At The Maw Of Ruin (Earache Records), Stoner/Doom Metal

II. Gamma Bomb (๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง/๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Sea Savage (Prosthetic Records), Thrash Metal

III. Nominon (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Yesterdeath (Emanzipation Productions), Death Metal

IV. Urfaust (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Teufelsgeist (Vรกn Records), Atmospheric Black Metal/Ambient

V. Scour (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Black (Nuclear Blast), Black Metal


Throwback Of The Week

Since Architects have topped their first single Animals with the much better Black Lungs, I thought it was time to revisit an absolute classic from back in the day. I remember hearing some of these songs live and they moved me to my core. Suck an epic album with a load of memorable lyrics and riffs. It needs no introduction;

Architects (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Lost Together//Lost Forever (Epitaph Records), Progressive Metalcore


Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments