The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (22nd December 2020)

Merry Christmas/Yule To All From The Metal Scholar!

It's a festive week and I am all prepared for a few days of feasting and drinking with my family. Even though I am also using this time to fully reflect on my experiences this year, despite everything I am leaving 2020 in a happier place than when I started it. It has been fairly easy to focus on negatives, but one thing I have been absolutely thankful for is the amount of solid releases that have come out this year. People have needed that new music to help them get through and for the band's that have released albums this year, thank you so much and I can be pretty certain that this will be repaid as soon as we all pack into venues again. I am equally excited about and dreading doing my albums of the year list as I get to revisit all these awesome releases, but having to choose will be a real challenge for sure! All things considered, I thank all of you guys for your support this year, been awesome to use the time I was given to continually give you these lists on a weekly basis that you guys seem to enjoy. Whilst I may have lost the Wham and Mariah Carey challenge last week, there is still a no radio Christmas songs policy here, so sit back and listen to these awesome tunes whilst getting festive! 

Singles Of The Week

I. Wardruna (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Andvevarljod (Fimbulljod Productions), Nordic/Ambient Folk

II. Myrkur (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ) - Dronning Ellisiv (Relapse Records), Atmospheric Black Metal/Folk

III. Fleshgod Apocalypse (๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น) - No (Nuclear Blast), Symphonic/Technical Death Metal

IV. Spelljammer (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Lake (RidingEasy Records), Doom/Stoner Metal

V. BAEST  (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ) - Abattoir (Century Media Records), Death Metal

VI. THRON (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - The Prophet (Listenable Records), Black Metal

VII. Akhlys (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Pnigalion (Debemur Morti Productions), Black Metal

VIII. Torturous Inception (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Owari (Amputated Vein Records), Brutal Death Metal

IX. Lord Ketil (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - The Coven (Asgard Hass Productions), Black Metal

X. Coffins (๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ต) - The Hatred Storm (Horror Pain Gore Death Productions), Doom/Death Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Akhlys (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Melinoรซ (Debemur Morti Productions), Black Metal

II. Lord Ketil (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Cult Of The Elder Ones (Asgard Hass Productions), Black Metal

III. Myrholt (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Retterting (Screaming Skull Records), Black Metal

IV. Wombbath (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Tales Of Madness (Transcending Obscurity Records), Death Metal

V. Funeral Winds (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Essence (Avantgarde Music), Black Metal


Throwback Of The Week

With the solstice passing us yesterday and we are currently in Yule/Christmas week, I have definitely been indulging my spiritual side as well as my love for Norse mythology in the depths of winter. This week's throwback is due to that and the fact that the other day at work I was on my own and blasting it all round the kitchen. So, this week's throwback is;

Amon Amarth (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Deceiver Of The Gods (Metal Blade Records), Melodic Death Metal


Favourite Song


Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments