The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (15th December 2020)

Getting Christmas Stuff Done

Apologies for my absence towards the back end of last week, it's been a fairly busy in terms of real life and dealing with some unexpected emotions that stopped my work. Also, the admin that goes into Christmas cards and shopping seems to be getting worse and more expensive every year, which is annoying when you've spent the majority of the year on furlough pay. It has been hard to feel especially festive as News companies insist on pedalling the doom and gloom this year has presented us alongside constant reminders of our struggles. I understand that new statistics and figures come out every day, and that the government incompetence is at an all time high but damn I am in some dire need of something upbeat. Anyway, whilst I have been prepping for Christmas, I've been listening to some festive music and the usual fair, but nothing was more satisfying than walking to work in the dark last night listening to Emperor's magnum opus In the Nightside Eclipse. I've been happily blast beating my way into the Christmas season, I haven't been Whammed or Mariah-ed and it's been absolute bliss. So, without further ado, here are this week's lists.

Singles Of The Week

I. Asphyx (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Knights Templar Stand (Century Media Records), Death/Doom

II. Harakiri For The Sky (๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น) - And Oceans Between Us (AOP Records), Post-Black Metal

III. Cult Of Luna (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Three Bridges (Red Creek), Atmospheric Sludge/Progressive Meta

IV. Nocte Obducta (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Noch (Supreme Chaos Records), Avante-garde Black Metal

V. Varmia (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Bielmo (M-Theory Audio), Black Metal

VI. Ablaze My Sorrow (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Among Ashes and Monoliths (Black Lion Records), Melodic Death Metal

VII. Yashira (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - The Constant (Good Fight Music), Death/Sludge/Post-Metal

VIII. Howling North (๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ) - Deviation (Independent), Atmospheric/Post-Black Metal

IX. Horna (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Elรคvรคnรค, Kuolleena (World Terror Committee), Black Metal

X. Imha Tarikat (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Kreuzpunkt Der Schicksale (Independent), Black Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Nocte Obducta (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Irrlicht (Es Schlรคgt Dem Mond Ein Kaltes Herz) (Supreme Chaos Records), Avante-garde Black Metal

II. Yashira (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Fail To Be (Good Fight Music), Death/Sludge/Post-Metal

III. Horna (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - Kuoleman Kirjo (World Terror Committee), Black Metal

IV. Imha Tarikat (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Sternenberster (Independent), Black Metal

V. Mystruin (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Calcination (Lamech Records), Black Metal


Throwback Of The Week

Referring to my intro, this week's throwback is one that needs no introduction. It has a very special place in my heart as one of the first black metal albums I truly got lost in, rediscovering my love for it last night was absolutely amazing given the surrounding darkness. I could really feel the atmosphere of the album and it was beautiful. This week's throwback is;

Emperor (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - In The Nightside Eclipse (Candlelight Records), Symphonic Black Metal

Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist 

Comments