The Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom - Nasjonaldagen i Norge


🇳🇴 17. Mai er Norges Nasjonaldag 🇳🇴

Today is Norway's Constitution Day! Whilst you know I'm not a native Norwegian, I have been very influenced by the country's history, music, culture and I love the language. Many of you who know me, know I'm an obsessive Scandophile as well as all things Nordic and Germanic, so this celebration will come as no surprise to any of you. I am still yet to visit Norway, and frustratingly it won't happen for a little while longer due to the current pandemic, I have fallen in love with the landscape from a far, through images of the cities and fjords. The closest I've been to Norway was my two week holiday in Stockholm, in neighbouring Sweden (I covered my trip in the second ever Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom!) One landmark that I desperately want to visit as an avid  and passionate Viking history fan is the towering Sverd i Fjell. Located in Hafrsfjord (roughly 4 hours and 45 minutes from Bergen), the monument was created by sculptor Fritz Røed from Bryne and was unveiled by King Olav V of Norway in 1983. The monument commemorates King Harald Finehair's gathering of all Norway under one banner at the historic Battle of Hafrsfjord, which is traditionally dated as being in the year 872 (79 years after Vikings raided the holy island and monastery of Lindisfarne, Northumbria). The large sword symbolises the victorious Harald and the two smaller swords represent the lesser petty kings, Eirik of Hordaland and Kjotve the Rich. 


Of course, this is a music blog, so there can't be a conversation about Norway without talking about black metal. I originally never got on with black metal, preferring progressive and death metal initially, either way I'm so glad I immersed myself in the world of cold and evil. The second wave of black metal emanated from Norway, bringing us Mayhem, Immortal, Emperor, Enslaved, Gorgoroth and many, many more that I have since very much enjoyed listening to! I am also a massive fan of Einar Selvik's work in Wardruna and with Trevor Morris. My favourite project was when he teamed up with Enslaved guitarist Ivar Bjørnson and created Skuggsjá, "which was originally initiated as a commissioned concert piece for the 200th anniversary of the Norwegian Constitution and premiered in September 2014 at the Eidsivablot festival, Eidsvoll where the constitution was written." (I. Bjørnson, E. Selvik, 2016)

"Skuggsjá translates into ‘mirror’ or ‘reflection’ in the Norse language, and the piece not only contextualizes harder music’s role in the democracy in Norway in 2014, but also joins threads from the country’s ancient musical history and solidifies harder music’s position as Norway`s most important cultural export."  (I. Bjørnson, E. Selvik, 2016)

With this in mind, it leads me nicely onto;

What I'm Listening To At This Very Moment


This is one of my favourite songs off of the Skuggsjá album, shorter than most of them, the chorus is damn catchy. Although I can't find a definitive answer to who the song is about, I can hazard a good guess that it is based on Thorir Hund (Tore Hund), and he "was one of the greatest chiefs in Hålogaland. Tore Hund was one of the leaders of the Stiklestad peasant faction opposing Norwegian King Olaf II of Norway, later named St. Olaf. He was reported to have been among the chieftains who killed the king in the Battle of Stiklestad in 1030. He also served in the forces of King Canute the Great on several occasions." (Krag, 1995) He was strongly independent and a devout pagan, so it's probably why I like the song so much. 

What I've Been Jamming To This Week

If you haven't already guessed this post has a strong Norwegian theme, so it should come as no surprise that this week's jams have a strong Norwegian influence. I'm back with some of the best playlists in my opinion, The Sounds Of Spotify's The Sound Of Norwegian Black Metal. With all the usual suspects on there it also has loads of awesome bands like 1349, Mistur, Cor Scorpii and many more. So, fill your boots with Norway's finest today!


My New Project! Introducing, Witchwood Wizard & The Psychic Yeti

As I have announced on my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, I'm super excited to announce my new project created in collaboration with my amazingly talented friend Sabrina! Inspired by 70s doom/psychedelic/stoner rock, with sprinklings of modern influences and some Black Sabbath inspired riffing. I believe it was a change in direction that I needed as I have been able to express myself musically in a different way. My production skills were challenged as well, which was a refreshing and exciting experience. It was phenomenal to work with someone on the same musical wavelength as well, throwing ideas back and forth and experimenting to see where it goes. I'm so proud of the end result and I can't wait for you guys to hear it!

You can pre-save our first single, Deep Rooted Black Magick here. The single comes out on 9th June, so for now I'll leave you a little bit of what is to come;


7 Weeks In, Keep Going Everyone

We're now 7 weeks into lockdown, and as I have preached over the last are weeks, keep looking out for your family and friends, as well as taking good care of yourself! These strange and uncertain times are starting to take their toll on me a little bit but I am lucky because I have some of the best friends anyone could ask for around me, others are not so fortunate. There is an end in sight to this, whether it comes in the next few weeks or few months, we're all doing an amazing job to support each other, I've seen so much positivity recently and long may it continue! Keep rockin' everyone, my thoughts are with you! 🤘


References 

I. Bjørnson, E. Selvik, 2016, Ivar Bjørnson and Einar Selvik's Skuggsjá, Season Of Mist, http://www.skuggsja.no

C., Krag, 1995,  Aschehougs Norgeshistorie, Vikingtid og riksamling 800-1130 (Oslo: 1995)

Comments