The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (12th May 2020)

Buggered By Mini Flare Ups Of Tinnitus

I've been quite reserved with my music listening this week, after a drunken night on Friday where I fell asleep with my headphones on too loud my ears have been a little sore since! Of course this has brought a few mini flare ups of tinnitus, nothing major just like the ones you have after gigs. As a result I prioritised my current projects and managed my ear fatigue, I'll be back to album devouring properly over this week no doubt! Despite all this I have enjoyed some awesome releases this week, as you can see in my last two reviews, Vesperith being the most fascinating album I've heard in a long time. Anyway, lockdown has got artists being creative as ever with creating videos, online gigs and all the rest, but I am eagerly expecting and explosion of releases once all this is over. I heard an interesting point made by Kieth Merrow on Ola Englund's most recent Coffee With Ola episode, basically saying that us creatives are almost built for this type of scenario. We are used to working alone, in isolation on our projects with a determined fervour. I couldn't have agreed more really, it kind of justified the hours that I've spent alone writing, recording, mixing and generally trying to hone my craft the best I can and it's genuinely made me feel really positive about working on my guitar stuff and trying to learn more and more. I think overall, the last week or two I've become really content with myself and seeing my ideas in a more positive light. The ultimate one being that it doesn't have to be a prog epic to be a good song! Anyway, enough waffle, time for the tunes!

Singles Of The Week

I. Atavist (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Self-Realisation (Candlelight Records), Doom/Drone Metal
II. Winterfylleth (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Absolved In Fire (Candlelight Records), Black Metal
III. Vorga (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Cataract Mind (Independent), Black Metal
IV. Asenblut (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Die Wilde Jagd (AFM Records), Pagan/Thrash Metal
V. Sojourner (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช/๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ) - The Event Horizon (Napalm Records), Atmospheric Black Metal
VI. Draconian (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Lustrous Heart (Napalm Records), Gothic/Doom/Death Metal
VII. Czort (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Schody podล›wiadomoล›ci (Under the Sign of Garazel Productions), Black Metal
VIII. Xibalba (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Aรฑos en Infierno (Southern Lord Recordings), Death Metal
IX. In The Woods... (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Wotan's Return (Soulseller Records), Black Metal
X. Odraza (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Wielki Mizogin (Godz ov War Productions), Black Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. Sojourner (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช/๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ) - Premonitions (Napalm Records), Atmospheric Black Metal
II. Czort (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Apostoล‚ (Under the Sign of Garazel Productions), Black Metal
III. Odraza (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Esperalem Tkane (Godz ov War Productions), Black Metal
IV. HYEMS (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Anatomie des Scheiterns (Black Sunset), Melodic Black Metal
V. Cursed Be Thy Flesh (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ/๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ) - The Ritual (Necrotic Records), Black Metal

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is one I've revisited after reviewing an album recently. It is packed with awesome riffs, melodies and atmospheres that make me envisage spectacular imagery of England and her history. This band have special place in my heart and are my banner lords for English black metal. This week's throwback is;

Winterfylleth (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - The Dark Hereafter (Candlelight Records), Black Metal



Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments