The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (19th May 2020)

Glorious Sunshine & Damned Hayfever

Yes, it is that time of year where my eyes, nose and throat are assaulted by that dastardly demon that is pollen. I know many of you suffer the same ill-fate but it really can put a downer on your walks and exercise with a running nose and itchy eyes. As many of us also like to be out in nature, it is a curse we must deal with annually unfortunately. Anyway, as many of you know the project I was working on has been announced at long last! After celebrating Norway's national day from afar in The Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom, I am so excited for you to see and hear what I've been working away on in collaboration with my wonderfully talented friend Sabrina! With all the excitement, inevitably came a bit of a flat week emotionally and mentally, as it often does after a project's completion. So, I've kicked back and chilled out to a multitude of music and having a drink or two (Sunday I drank more rum than I care to admit and considering I moderate my rum intake to every now and again because it sends me over the age, lets say that evening was eventful!). Anyway, enough waffling, here are some tunes to lift you spirits as hay fever sets on it's mission to steal your very life force!




Singles Of The Week

I. Left Behind (🇺🇞) - Waiting For The End (Pure Noise Records), Sludge Metal/Metalcore
II. Warning (🏎󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Footprints (Independent), Doom Metal
III. Fellwarden (🏎󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - An Elder Reckoning (Eisenwald), Atmospheric Black Metal
IV. Nexion (🇮🇞) - The Spirit Of Black Breath (Avantgarde Music), Black/Death Metal
V. Old Corpse Road (🏎󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Demons Of The Farne (Trollzorn Records), Black Metal
VI. Centinex (🇞🇪) - Beyond The Dark (Agonia Records), Death Metal
VII. Katalepsy (🇷🇺) - Those Who Rot The Souls (Unique Leader Records), Technical Brutal Death/Groove Metal
VIII. Dratna (🇬🇧) - Banished From The Shores Of Eire (Independent), Black Metal
IX. Slaughter To Prevail (🇷🇺) - Demolisher (Sumerian Records), Deathcore
X. Behemoth (🇵🇱) - A Forest ft. Niklas Kvarforth (New Aeon Musick), Blackened Death Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. Old Corpse Road (🏎󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - On Ghastly Shores Lays the Wreckage of Our Lore (Trollzorn Records), Black Metal
II. Dratna (🇬🇧) - Druid Winds & the Fall of the Celtic Gods (Independent), Black Metal
III. Vader (🇵🇱) - The Darkest Age (Live '93) (BADMUSIC.PL), Death Metal
IV. Secrets Of The Moon (🇩🇪) - Black House (Lupus Lounge), Goth Rock/Metal
V. Kły (🇵🇱) - Wyrzyny (Pagan Records), Atmospheric Black Metal

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is one that punches a massive black crater into the earth with its dark and brooding heaviness. I thought it was time to revisit some of the more sludgier albums that have influenced me over the years and this one always sticks out to me. From the heart of New Orleans (NOLA), Crowbar have been one of the father's of NOLA sludge and continue to make heavy as fuck albums. This week's throwback is;

Crowbar (🇺🇞) - There Serpent Only Lies (Steamhammer), Sludge/Doom Metal



Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments