The Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom - The 300th Post (This. Is. Fjordhammer!)


What An Unbelievable Journey, And It's Only Getting Better!

It seems insane that on the 6th February 2019, I sat down and did my first review for this new blog. My review for Behemoth's I Loved You At Your Darkest is by no means one of my literary masterpieces, but it was the start of something incredible that in 2021 is leading me to new and amazing opportunity. Through my love of music and writing I have entered a world of awesome and phenomenal people that are ridiculously talented and creative beyond measure. I've been very fortunate to become part of Noizze and RAMzine and continuing to tread down the music journalism path. As I reflect on the times that I very nearly gave up writing, I become so thankful that I persevered and kept going, because now I can't live without it! Having interacted with bands and PR companies from around the world, I feel truly blessed to be a part of this crazy music community. It seems so surreal that quotes from my reviews have been part of bands' Social Media graphics (most notably The Infernal Sea and Hand Of Kalliach) and part of their PR packages. The support from you guys has been awesome too as smashing that 10,000 hit target last year was a significant highlight in a life changing year. Anyway, as much as I am happy with where it's going, it hasn't dulled my ambition and determination, this is just the start. As for the Miscellaneous Goings On, this week has been an interesting one, dealing with lockdown struggles i.e. keeping occupied, dealing with mental health etc. The new look has me excited, as the graphic I made is probably the cleanest looking one I've done (see below). The photo was taken on a freezing New Year's day in the woods near me. The aisle of trees is always beautiful no matter what season it is, it feels like you're walking down the aisle of Nature's cathedral and it is spiritually invigorating. I thought it was fitting for the evolution of Fjordhammer, given that the previous photo also featured a wooded path, and these paths are leading me to where I need to be. I'm celebrating this post, because despite everything that is going on, music is one of the things keeping me up and motivated. Thank you all so much, we're only just getting started! 


What I'm Listening To At This Very Moment


A podcast that I discovered recently. The vast quantity of knowledge that the hosts Dr. Mathias Nordvig and Daniel Farrand have for this era and how it applies in the modern age opens up a lot of great debates with the various guests they get on. Over the hour and a half shows I learn so much and laugh along they way, it's insightful and intellectual but also easily accessible for everyone. So, I thoroughly recommend checking out the podcast if you're interested in all things Norse and Norse mythology. 

What I've Been Jamming To This Week

Unsurprisingly, in the cold depths of winter, it is black metal leading the way. However, one album absolutely blew me away, it's raw, eerie and mysterious, which is everything I love about black metal. I reviewed it earlier in the week and was my first five start rating in a while. Hulder's Godslastering: Hymns Of A Forlorn Peasantry, is such an epic album, I definitely recommend you check it out. 


Here's To The Next 300 Posts! 

For those who didn't get the title's reference, here is a hand GIF to clear that up;


It's from that glorious film 300, which is a very big Hollywood adaption on the classic Battle of Thermopylae, where 300 Spartans stood strong against the might of Persia. Whilst I am continually trying to keep myself occupied outside of writing and music, history is definitely something that helps ease the boredom. I'm currently reading King Harald's Saga, the legendary Norwegian King that fell at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066, which I will no doubt review on Wandering Through The Ages. Anyway, I have digressed, thank you all so much for your continued support, it genuinely means the word to me to see the bog continuously growing! Have an awesome weekend folks, and keep rockin'! ðŸ¤˜ðŸ’™



Comments