The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (5th January 2021)

The First Edition Of The New Year! 

Well, Christmas went far too quickly didn't it? And to top it off we find ourselves in another lockdown, 2021 is off to a monotonous and frustrating start. However, I won't let this get me down, it is a fresh year which means lots of fresh new music (hopefully!). The winter can be a deeply inspirational time for me, and just an interesting time in general. I don't know why I love it so much, but we all know nothing beats chucking a Darkthrone album on and walking through a frosty wasteland. Anyway, January is notoriously slow for releases and will probably be a slow month in general because it goes on for 84 years. I am determined to find some releases though and as I said last month probably go back to some that I missed or knew about but forgot to listen to. It's going to be an interesting year for music I think, how it will adapt and overcome this crisis is something I'm invested in greatly, as I myself have had a bit of a focus shift and the various yo-yoing in and out of lockdowns has dulled the music spark a little. So, I'm hoping that whatever music comes out this year, something will inspire me on the same level as Havukruunu's Uinuos Syรถmein Sota did (which also seems to be a very popular review on here, I think it's been in the popular this month column since I wrote it!). One album I'm definite looking forward to this year is Wardruna's Kvitravn, feels like an age since I pre-ordered it. Anyway, enough waffling, time to get on with the first 2021 edition of The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List!

Singles Of The Week

I. Begotten (๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ) - Nothing Worth Remembering I (Independent), Depressive Black Metal

II. Bhleg (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - ร–det (Nordvis Produktion), Black Metal

III. Totenwache (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Absicht (Independent), Black Metal

IV. Gjallarhorn (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ) - On The Plundered Graves (Independent), Black Metal

V. Corrupted Saint (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Forced To The Gallows (Redefining Darkness Records), Death Metal

VI. Onda Makter (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Keepers Of The Black Flame (Skรคgg Records), Black Metal 

VII. KVร–L (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Behold! Our Wailing Ode (Independent), Black Metal

VIII. Wintaar (๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ) - Rotting Eyes Of Winter (Independent), Black Metal

IX. The Ruins Of Beverast (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Kromlec'h Knell (Vรกn Records), Atmospheric Black/Doom Metal

X. Grafjammer (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Zelfverminkers & Spiritusdrinkers (Folter Records), Black Metal


Albums Of The Week

I. Totenwache (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Kriegswesen (Independent), Black Metal

II. Gjallarhorn (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ) - Memories, Nightmares, Ash (Independent), Black Metal

III. Onda Makter (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - The Misanthropic Blasphemy (Skรคgg Records), Black Metal 

IV. Corrupted Saint (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Mutilated Before the Masses (Redefining Darkness Records), Death Metal

V. Begotten (๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ) - Nothing Worth Remembering (Independent), Depressive Black Metal


Throwback Of The Week

After watching the Rammstein in Amerika documentary, I have revisited all my favourite songs and more. Having recently making a routine about my German learning these guys have partly been inspirational in me picking up the language as well as previously living there. I especially remember their Live In Paris DVD and I have never wanted to see them live more than I do at this current time. I know Rammstein were my throwback a few weeks ago, but these guys are phenomenal, don't you agree? 

Rammstein (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - PARIS (Live) (Universal/Vertigo/Capitol), Industrial Metal/Neue Deutsche Harte


Favourite Song

The Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments