The Miscellaneous Goings On Of Tom - A New Year, Some New Objectives



Waking Up From A Week Long Slumber

Well, after all the feasting and drinking, I am now ready to get back on the grind and open my ears to the sounds of 2021! With 2020 chewing dust in the rearview mirror, it is now time to look forward and step up to the challenges that this year brings. Whilst I am still overwhelmed at what I achieved last year (with your help), now is not the time to sit idly, so I've been setting out personal objectives for myself to carry on into the New Year. This will continue the upward trajectory that I instigated over 6 months ago. One of the harder but much needed ones, is that I will be taking part in dry January, whilst I'll continue my Northern Monk subscription I've realised that my hangovers are the worst and write me off for about two days! As this is my first post of 2021 (that feels so weird to type), I wanted to assure that I have not disappeared in the limbo between Christmas and New Year, but I was merely resting, a much needed week off so I could have to to reflect and plan what I want to do in 2021. Most of them are personal ones, like making sure I read more instead of boredom scrolling on social media (so far it's working!), keeping fit and healthy, keeping my language learning going, all that sort of thing. However, I have a strong focus and ambition to keep crafting my writing and to create more music that better reflects where I am now and where I am going. I've tried to keep them modest, but as someone that loves a challenge, it has been a challenge in itself to make sure that I don't overwhelm myself. Of course, the biggest one that I have been saving for is travel, but that is looking increasingly unlikely under the current circumstances. Anyway, hopefully, this year I take more opportunities, especially the ones that present themselves from unlikely sources. Whilst music is the number one priority, I am itching to practice more creative writing, which I know I've alluded to you before but now I want that confidence to share it. I can waffle on for ages about every single on of my objectives but I don't want to bore you! What I want to say is that no matter how big or small your ambitions and challenges are, I know that you can achieve them this year, regardless of what is going on in the world. If there is one thing we can take from 2020 is that we can all inspire each other and we can all evolve and grow together. Here's to looking forward! 

What I'm Listening To At This Very Moment


I have been all over black metal the past month, the dark and ravishing grimness of winter has a very inspirational quality about it. Given my frosty walk yesterday morning, it had me wanting to listen to At The Heart Of Winter as I trudged through the ice and frost. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that in Norway at some point, stereotypical of me I know, but you have to admit it'd be worth it.

What I've Been Jamming To This Week

As previously mentioned, I have thrown myself headfirst into black metal, it's a driving force for me at the moment and helps me really embrace winter, with all the stunning imagery that is brings. However, one country has really stood out next to the others in terms of inspiring me, and that is the black metal from Finland. Having learned bits of Finnish last year, it has become a new fascination for me, but for now all I have to go on is their black metal, here's to hopefully venturing to Finland this year.


Capturing The Fire Red Robins

As I mentioned earlier, I went on a very frosty New Year's day walk yesterday. Armed with my camera hoping to take some photos of the Wiltshire countryside, but I never anticipated being fortunate enough to capture some epic pictures of my favourite winter bird, the illusive Robin! There is a lot of symbolism and omens surrounding robins across all faiths and cultures, which makes them mysterious and fascinating creatures. Take a look at my photos below;



Excited For The New Challenges That Await Us!

This was just a quick update from me to let you know that I am not lost in the Post Christmas ether. I am excited to bring the blog into a new era, and most importantly sinking my teeth into some new and innovative music. I wish you all the happiest of New Year's and that you achieve all that you want to! Keep rockin', and as always thank you so much for your incredible support! ðŸ¤˜ðŸ’™

Comments