The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (21st February 2020)


The Only Thing Getting Me Through Work Is Decent Music

A bit of a late one this week, owing to actual work commitments in the real world, a place I very rarely like to stay long. With work taking up a lot of my time recently it is challenging to stay on schedule, but it's better late than never! In this time though my walks to work have allowed me to explore some new albums and some old ones that I might have missed. I do enjoy walking with music in, it is cathartic and very therapeutic, soundtracking every step that I take and giving me serotonin for the day. I've been trying to break into more classical music to, really trying to explore composers and their music. After witnessing the magic of Apocalyptica it drew my attention more to classical. I've always enjoyed epic movie soundtracks from films and TV, the works of Howard Shore, Trevor Morris and Ramin Djawadi, but the composer that most grabs my ear at the moment is Edvard Grieg, the original Norwegian black metal writer! Anyway, enough of my pretentious waffle, time to get on with the lists!

Singles Of The Week
I. Tsjuder (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - The Daemon Gate (Season Of Mist), Black Metal 
II. Wardruna (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด) - Grรก (Sony Music), Viking Folk
III. Winterfylleth (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - The Reckoning Dawn (Candlelight Records), Black Metal
IV. White Stones (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Drowned In Time (Nuclear Blast), Death Metal
V. Ulfven (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Korpen (Independent), Melodic Death/Doom Metal
VI. Harmdaud (๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช) - Flikan Och Krรฅken (Art Gates Records), Atmospheric Black Metal
VII. Dark Fortress (๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช) - The Spider In The Web (Century Media Records), Progressive Black Metal
VIII. Benighted (๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Implore The Negative (Season Of Mist), Brutal Death Metal/Grind
IX. Beneath The Massacre (๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ) - Treacherous (Century Media Records), Technical Death Metal/Deathcore 
X. Blaze Of Perdition (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Suffering Made Bliss (Metal Blade Records), Black Metal

Bonus Tracks (For Extreme Lateness)

XI. Tryglav (๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Night Of Whispering Souls (Extreme Metal Music), Black Metal
XII. Necronautical (๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ) - Apotheosis (Candlelight Records), Black Metal

Albums Of The Week
I. Turia (๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - Degen Van Licht (Eisenwald), Atmospheric Black Metal 
II. Blaze Of Perdition (๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ) - The Harrowing Of Hearts (Metal Blade Records), Black Metal
III. Tryglav (๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท) - Night Of Whispering Souls (Extreme Metal Music), Black Metal
IV. Black Breath (๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ) - Sentenced To Life (Southern Lord), Death Metal
V. Grima (๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ) - Devotion To Lord (Naturmacht Productions), Atmospheric Black Metal 

Throwback Of The Week

This weeks throwback is a classic, and introduced Brian Johnson to the world! It's AC/DC's Back In Black, I don't need to say anymore about it.



Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments