The Fjordhammer Weekly Listening List (8th September 2021)

September's #ReturnOfTheHammer Campaign Continues!

It's been a hot minute since I compiled another edition of my weekly listening list, but as many of you know I have been rather busy of late. Instead of dwelling and moping on that point, the weekly lists have returned! My forced month off has seen a load of new and exciting releases which I am eagerly waiting to sink my teeth into! I'm not sure if I will move the list from it's regular Tuesday slot to Wednesday but there is something more satisfying about releasing this midweek. It's like the tunes listed below can help you gear up for the weekend as well as getting over the midweek hump. My music taste has definitely diversified a bit more over the last month, as I've returned to more progressive music and tapped into some part of my youth that I now appreciate more. He was an ambitious musician experimenting with all the weirdness, so I guess in a way I was attempting to reconnect with that part of me. I can sit and reminisce as much as I want, I know what I have to do to get back there and that is to practice more, as with everyone else my excuse is modern life getting in the way, i.e. slave to the grind. Despite this, there has been an upheaval in many ways personally, as I once again find myself trying to find where I fit in. Whilst this is a process that can take a long time, one thing I am determined to indulge in again is history and my work for Wandering Through The Ages, it has been a painfully long time since I wrote anything on there. Anyway, without further ado, here are this week's lists!


Singles Of The Week

I. Whitechapel (🇺🇸) - Lost Boy (Metal Blade Records), Deathcore

II. Animals As Leaders (🇺🇸) - Monomyth (Sumerian Records), Progressive Metal

III. Carnifex (🇺🇸) - Cold Dead Summer (Nuclear Blast), Blackened Deathcore

IV. Zeal & Ardor (🇨🇭) - Bow (Redacted/MVKA), Avant-garde Metal 

V. Mastiff (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Midnight Creeper (eOne), Doom/Sludge/Hardcore

VI. Portrayal Of Guilt (🇺🇸) - Possession (Run For Cover Records), Hardcore

VII. Cadaveric Incubator (🇫🇮) - Leprophagous Urge (Headsplit Records), Death Metal/Grindcore

VIII. Gloosh (🇷🇺) - Hexenring (Independent), Black Metal

IX. Internal Bleeding (🇺🇸) - Conformed To Obscurity (Comatose Music), Slam/Brutal Death Metal

X. Barbarity (🇷🇺) - Burial Or Cremation (Coyote Records), Death Metal/Grindcore

Albums Of The Week

I.  Carnifex (🇺🇸) - Graveside Confessions (Nuclear Blast), Blackened Deathcore

II. Internal Bleeding (🇺🇸) - Heritage of Sickness II (Comatose Music), Slam/Brutal Death Metal

III. Ex Deo (🇨🇦) - The Thirteen Years of Nero (Napalm Records), Symphonic Death Metal

IV. Kal-El (🇳🇴) - Dark Majesty (Majestic Mountain Records), Doom/Stoner Metal

V. Defleshed And Gutted (🇺🇸), Slamentation (🇩🇪/🇨🇭), Devour the Unborn (🇸🇪/🇺🇸), Inhuman Atrocities (🇺🇸) - Excruciating Malformations Of Abhorrent Descent (Vicious Instinct Records), Death/Slam/Deathcore

Discovery Of The Week

Bringing one of the most slamming and aggressive forms of American deathcore, Inhuman Atrocities are stomping their way to the top of the extreme metal scene. With crushing riffs and unholy blast beats accompanied by intense gutturals, this band has everything the deathcore fan needs, including samples before breakdowns!

Inhuman Atrocities (🇺🇸) - 4:00AM (Vicious Instinct Records), Slam/Deathcore

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is one that comes as a direct result of said band releasing a new single. Whitechapel's Lost Boy made me go back and revisit The Valley. That album will for every be known as a breaker of new ground for the band, as Phil unleashed his amazing clean vocals on the world. While we had seen a snippet in Mark Of The Blade, this is where they really came to the fore. The album itself is simply breathtaking, and I cannot wait for Kin

Whitechapel (🇺🇸) - The Valley (Metal Blade Records), Deathcore

Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist 

Comments