The Fjordhammer Weekly Listening List (15th June 2021)

The Baking Sun, Psychedelic Synths & Big Doom Riffs

Whilst it is nice to welcome in the summer sun, when you have circulation like mine that makes you a literal human radiator, now begins the sweatiest time of year. As for many metalheads my wardrobe is a majority of black t-shirts it does me absolutely no favours when the glowing orb decides to beat down upon me. Musically my listening habits have shifted to prog and doom, no idea why but slowing it down with some weird time signatures seems to be working for me at the moment, alongside all the usual blast beats and noise. Also, I want to mention how happy I am at the response I have gotten for the Fjordhammer On Tour posts! I'm overwhelmed at how much you guys liked the idea and how incorporating my two passions of history and music together in one post has been so enjoyable for me to write. Collaborating with Wandering Through The Ages in this way adds something unique to both blogs. The big news this week is the Download Pilot happening this weekend, this is a huge moment for the UK's festivals, especially the rock and metal ones as the government has delayed the so called 'Freedom Day' until the 19th July. The odd take from Bloodstock yesterday also caught me off guard, but we shall have to wait and see what happens. Whilst I understand it brings hope to many and trust me I want to go to a gig so much, it just seems impractical and possibly foolish to carry on with a full festival this year, unless it is strictly regulated like the Download Pilot. We all want to see the industry back on its feet, but I think it's a very hard call as to wether things should be carried on this year. Anyway, enough doom and gloom, lets get on with this week's lists!


Songs Of The Week

I. Disentomb (🇦🇺) - Cystic Secretion (Unique Leader Records), Brutal Death Metal

II. Distant (🇳🇱) - Aeons Of Oblivion (ft. Adam Warren) (Unique Leader Records), Deathcore

III. Nytt Land (🇷🇺) - Ritual (Napalm Records), Nordic Folk

IV. Hellevaerder (🇳🇱) - Verloren In De Diepte (Zwaertgevegt), Black Metal

V. General Surgery (🇸🇪) - Effusive Opulent Decampment/Lay Down And Be Counted (Independent), Death Metal

VI. Angra Ahriman (🇫🇮) - A Cry In The Emptiness (Independent), Black Metal

VII. FRIISK (🇩🇪) - Dem Wind Entgegen (Vendetta Records), Atmospheric Black Metal

VIII. Cerebral Rot (🇺🇸) - Bowels Of Decrepitude (20 Buck Spin), Death Metal

IX. Diabolizer (🇹🇷) - Bringers Of Khalkedonian Death (Everlasting Spew Records), Death Metal

X. Zeolite (🇦🇺) - Indoctrinated (EVP Recordings), Deathcore/Brutal Death


Albums Of The Week

I. Distant (🇳🇱) - Aeons Of Oblivion (Unique Leader Records), Deathcore

II. General Surgery (🇸🇪) - Lay Down And Be Counted (Independent), Death Metal

III. Angra Ahriman (🇫🇮) - A Cry In The Emptiness (Independent), Black Metal

IV. Thy Light (🇧🇷) - Thy Light (Independent), Black Metal

V. Goats Of Doom (🇫🇮) - Shiva (Purity Through Fire), Black Metal


Discovery Of The Week

The first Discovery Of The Week to feature in the Songs Of The Week, Dutch black metal band Hellevaerder offer a dark and brooding brand of old school tinged black metal with a modern visceral anger. Utilising the screeching black metal vocals over a lover death metal growl adds an interesting dynamic not often heard. Definitely a band to keep your eye on!

Hellevaerder (🇳🇱) - Verloren In De Diepte (Zwaertgevegt), Black Metal

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is an album that I keep coming back to. It is a very important album for me and will remain so. I listened to the band a lot in college and university and it helped me understand rhythm and atmosphere as their melodies were interwoven between groove laden rhythms. This week's throwback is;

TesseracT (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Altered State (Century Media Records), Progressive Metal 

Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments