The Fjordhammer Weekly Listening List (8th June 2021)

Another Bi-Weekly Effort, But You Now Know Why

Yes, as you have seen in the last couple of days I have finally launched Fjordhammer On Tour! As things start to open up, I have taken full advantage of being able to go out and explore all these amazing places. The idea, although it may be nothing new, was spawned over Lockdown, as I thought about the places I've been to and how music has augmented the experiences that I have had there. Given that most of them are history related it seemed natural to do it in partnership/collaboration with Wandering Through The Ages. Anyway, the first post on Corfe Castle explains it all much better and I am currently working on the second post already! Ideally I want to keep the listening list regular, but as you can all probably understand that after 18 months cooped up, it is only natural that I want to break free and get away from the computer to fill my days exploring. In that sense, I have missed a fair few big releases over the last week as I galavanted around the kingdom, big ones being new songs from Darkthrone and Mayhem. I feel like 2021 has lost a bit of momentum compared to this time last year, as the ever growing list of cancelled tours and festivals seems to take the steam out of proceedings. That hasn't reduced the quality of the releases though, everything seems to be continually raising the bar to some extent, goes to show what can happen when artists actually have time to decompress. Anyway, you've been waiting for two weeks, so let's get on with it shall we? Here's this week's lists.


Songs Of The Week

I. Darkthrone (πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄) - Hate Cloak (Peaceville Records), Black Metal

II. Mayhem (πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄) - Voces Ab Alta (Century Media Records), Black Metal 

III. King Woman (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Morning Star (Relapse Records), Doom/Post-Metal

IV. Night Crowned (πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ) - FjΓ€ttrad (Noble Demon), Melodic Black/Death Metal

V. Ammanas (πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί) - Solipsist (Independent), Black Metal

VI. Elderwind (πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί) - The Relict (Independent), Atmospheric Black Metal/Dark Ambient

VII. Desaster (πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ) - Hellputa (Metal Blade Records), Black/Thrash Metal

VIII. Myronath (πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ) - To Walk The Paths Of The Dead (Hellstain Productions), Black Metal

IX. Ossaert (πŸ‡³πŸ‡±) - De Nacht En De Verdwijning (Argento Records), Black Metal

X. Killing Addiction (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Prophecy Armageddon (Xtreem Music), Death Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. Elderwind (πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί) - Fires (Independent), Atmospheric Black Metal/Dark Ambient

II. Desaster (πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ) - Churches Without Saints (Metal Blade Records), Black/Thrash Metal

III. Myronath (πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ͺ) - Djevelkraft (Hellstain Productions), Black Metal

IV. Ossaert (πŸ‡³πŸ‡±) - Pelgrimsoord (Argento Records), Black Metal

V. Killing Addiction (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Mind Of A New God (Xtreem Music), Death Metal


Discovery Of The Week

This week's discovery isn't really new for anyone not liking under a rock, but for me they have been a delightful and lovely discovery. Fusing progressive riffs with some mesmeric melodies there is a lot to love about Spiritbox. I'd listened to bits of their songs before but never properly checked them out until recently, boy have I been missing out! 

Spiritbox (πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦) - Secret Garden (Pale Chord Music/Rise Records), Progressive Metal

Throwback Of The Week

I'm torn for this week's selection, as I've found that through my self-healing process I have been listening to a lot of music that got me through some dark times in my youth and understanding them with a new perspective. Even with that in mind, as the sun bakes down, I find myself listening to my doom and bluesier rock favourites. Clutch have always been a big influence on me ever since I heard them way back in college (not university for any American readers), and just recently I've really gotten back into their music. So, this week's throwback is;

Clutch (πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ) - Strange Cousins From The West (Weathermaker Music), Stoner/Blues Rock

Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist 

Comments