Joey Jordison (#1) - The Percussive Heartbeat Of Slipknot

 

#1

It is safe to say that the metal world was absolutely stunned on the 27th July 2021 as we learned of the passing of Joey Jordison. Whilst the grief that you feel when a hero dies is unfathomable and difficult to understand, the loss of a certified legend and personal hero is even worse (from my personal experience it can only be compared to the loss of Architects's Tom Searle because of the impact he had on me). The thrashing and pounding, percussive heartbeat of Slipknot inspired millions to play the drums, by consistently raising the bar higher and higher with each song, album and live performance. We can all agree that 46 is absolutely no age to die, which makes this loss all the more devastating for all of us. I wanted to send my condolences to all the Jordison family during this time and all the people that knew Joey personally. While I am one of millions of maggots that he didn't know existed, what he did for me is indescribable. The art he made with Slipknot started my journey into the world of metal, much like the rest of us. I think it is also comforting to some extent that he now shares that great metal gig in the sky with Paul Gray (#2), now they can create the driving rhythms and locked in grooves that they made together on this earth. So, I wanted to pay my own respects to him in the only way I know how, and that is through music, specifically the music he helped create. I wanted to do a countdown of my top 9 favourite Joey Jordison Slipknot songs, given how crucial Slipknot are in my musical journey, this was no easy selection as everything from those four Slipknot albums is absolutely mind blowing in their own way. The order doesn't reflect rank, they're all my favourites. Even so, I've given it a go! 

Rest In Power Joey, from one of the many Maggots. 

The List

#0 - Three Nil (Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses, 2004)

Blending a steady rock rhythm with crazy blast beast and progressive sounding fills that added some extra firepower to the riffs, Three Nil is signature Slipknot. The raw aggression shown from such a percussive heavy song feels like a belt around the face from a steel fist right after being hit by a freight train. Even so, this was a more structured Slipknot, and even the chaos was more organised on this album, it still had a devastating effect on your ear drums. 


#1 - The Shape (Iowa, 2001)

Ok, so this one definitely has a paranormal vibe about it, and every time I listen to it I'm reminded of when I used to explore an abandoned naval base by the name of Royal Arthur. Seriously the place had such a dark and oppressive vibe to it. Joey's insane drumming adds to this ruthlessly relentless onslaught of riff after riff, alongside trademarking the song with his signature precisely frantic fills. I've always loved the groove in this song, despite it's eerie and dark subject matter. 


#2 - Surfacing (Slipknot, 1999)

Probably more recognisable because of it's iconic guitar leads mashed with DJ scratching, but under the surface (pun intended) is this intense, formidable rhythm that not only packs a heft punch but a solid groove that never fails to get you jumping round the room screaming your head off like some demented banshee. 


#3 - Butcher's Hook (All Hope Is Gone, 2008)

This one probably comes a little out of left field, but hear me out. I think this one shows how good Joey was at stripping it back as well as all out gut busting. A fairly standard rock groove embellished with the signature Joey flares gives this song significant headbang-ability. Possibly one of the slower Slipknot songs I think it shows how well the band can use a simple-ish formula but still churn out a completely unique and distinctly Slipknot song. 


#4 - Scream (Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses, 2004)

One that seems particularly relevant given the current circumstances of the world, but I won't go into that again. I've always loved this one for it's pure aggression, there's nothing fancy here just ball busting, brain crushing Slipknot riffs and rhythms. It also brings back that 1999 era Slipknot scratching. Even so, under the surface Joey continues to mix it up, push boundaries and effortlessly shift through the gears giving the song some interesting dynamics. 


#5 - The Heretic Anthem (Iowa, 2001)

Undisputed classic. I don't have to say anything on this one. Simply mind bending and skull crushing. You can literally feel your skull breaking under the constant applied pressure and brutal pounding of this song. 


#6 - Everything Ends (Iowa, 2001)

Probably the song that epitomised my own personal teen angst. Sheer brutality but with a rhythmic groove that seems photo-"djent" to an extent, utilising accents in an unconventional way made this song always stand out to me. Saying that though, all of Iowa stood out to everyone because of its sheer nastiness. Joey's drumming in this is something else, packing all the vile and vitriolic anger of the song into a sucker punching beat. Without Joey's efforts those riffs wouldn't sound half as heavy as they do. 


#7 - Liberate (Slipknot, 1999)

How the hell they basically worked a drum n' bass beat into a metal song is beyond comprehension, but I think Liberate demonstrates this best. The signature Slipknot 1999 era beat had these electronic influences working into crazy metal drums and Liberate certainly unleashes all of our inner madness when it drops. 


#8 - Vendetta (All Hope Is Gone, 2008)

For the drum fill intro alone this song is up there for me. How he manages to effortlessly switch tempos after such a frantic introduction will always blow my mind. Throughout the song Joey demonstrates his exceptional proficiency and knowledge with a consistently varied beat making each section of the song uniquely stand out as well as helping it be a cohesively dynamic song. 


Thank You For Everything

I want to say a massive thank you for everything Joey, it's true what they say, "You don't know what you've got until it's gone". Joey was truly one of a kind and I felt this loss, I really felt it. It's never nice seeing one of your heroes pass on, but hopefully he's raising hell in the great gig in the sky. My thoughts and support are with Joey's family and friends at this time. 



Comments