The Fjordhammer Weekly Listening List (6th July 2021)

 

The Autumnal Vibes In July?

It is a strange one at the moment, with the weather portraying more of an autumnal season and June flying by in an instant, 2021 seems to be reaching terminal velocity. Various strange and not always helpful energies are flying about for me, but they have shown me some things over the last couple of days that I still need to work on mental health wise. Caught up in a work loop I was losing time to myself and anyone who knows me knows I need that time otherwise I become a grumpy, stressed and anxious mess. Anyway, I have had a few rest days and started enjoying Mick Wall's Lemmy biography which I will probably end up doing a book review of, just like the Black Sabbath one I did way back. Now though, I feel refreshed and refocused as I know what I need to do to ensure that I don't burn out. Anyway, 2021 continues to be an awesome year for metal. With the new death metal resurgence, which stated a couple of years back, really coming into it's own this year, the quality of black metal releases continually being upped (somewhat contradictorily to it's Trve Kvlt ideals, but we all love progression) alongside doom records bringing double the fuzz and thunder with some cataclysmic riffs. I have definitely been impressed by bands such as Cerebral Rot, Urne, Underdark and many more. So, without any further ado, let's get on with these 'ere lists.



Songs Of The Week

I. King Woman (🇺🇸) - Psychic Wound (Relapse Records), Doom/Post-Metal/Shoegaze

II. Vader (🇵🇱) - An Act Of Darkness (Nuclear Blast), Death/Thrash Metal

III. Disentomb (🇦🇺) - Purity Severed By The Antediluvian (Unique Leader Records), Brutal Death Metal

IV. Wraith (🇺🇸) - Cloaked In Black (Redefining Darkness Records), Blackened Speed Metal/Punk

V. Nifrost (🇳🇴) - Vatnet Blir Til Blod (Dusktone), Black Metal

VI. Green Lung (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Leaders Of The Blind (Svart Records), Stoner/Doom Metal/Rock

VII. Hooded Menace (🇫🇮) - Chime Diabolicus (Season Of Mist), Death/Doom Metal

VIII. Agrypnie (🇩🇪) - Verwüstung (AOP Records), Progressive/Post-Black Metal

IX. Enforcer (🇸🇪) - Kiss Of Death (Nuclear Blast), Heavy/Speed Metal

X. Aborted (🇧🇪) - Impetus Odi (Century Media Records), Death Metal/Grindcore

Albums Of The Week

I. Urne (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Serpent & Spirit (Candlelight Records), Stoner/Sludge Metal

II. Cerebral Rot (🇺🇸) - Excretion Of Mortality (20 Buck Spin), Death Metal

III. Darkthrone (🇳🇴) - Eternal Hails...... (Peaceville Records), Black Metal

IV. Amenra (🇧🇪) - De Doorn (Relapse Records), Doom/Sludge Metal/Hardcore

V. Nifrost (🇳🇴) - Orkja (Dusktone), Black Metal

Discovery Of The Week

Some of the most brutal sounding deathcore that I have heard this week! Canada'a Carcosa pack big, skull splitting riffs with the lowest of the low of toilet bowl growls played with an industrial sounding, machine like proficiency. Definitely a band worth checking out if you need something heavy and angry in your ears.

Carcosa (🇨🇦) - Descensus (Blood Blast Distribution), Deathcore

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is one that makes a lot of sense considering I'm reading the biography of the main man himself. Motörhead don't need any introduction, if you don't know who they are you have lived under a very large rock for the best part of a half century. One album I never really see talked about is Motörizer, maybe it isn't their most iconic or influential album but I've always enjoyed it. 

Motörhead (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Motörizer (Steamhammer/BMG Rights Management), Speed Metal, Heavy Metal/Hard Rock

Favourite Song

Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments