The Metal Scholar's Weekly Listening List (18th December 2019)

Blighted By Illness Just Before Yule/Christmas!

This week's list is late because unfortunately I have been struck down by a very un-festive virus. Going hot and cold, mad sweating spells, coughing and spluttering, you name it, in two days it has completely wiped me out. Anyway, enough making and moaning from me, it won't stop me getting what needs to be done done or feeling very festive for that matter. Even so as we approach the Winter Solstice we are reminded of the short dark days and the bite of winter. Whilst the country is currently in tatters I will say that this is the season to help your fellow man regardless. Although I don't like to get political on here, we can unite through music and become the change that we want to see in the world. However, don't let this overshadow the festive season, enjoy this time with your families, friends and anyone you hold dear. Anyway, away from this sentimentality, let's get cracking with the week's lists!

Singles Of The Week


I. Tombs (🇺🇸) - Monarchy Of Shadows (Season Of Mist), Black Metal
II. Ihsahn (🇳🇴) - Stridig (Candlelight Records), Black Metal
III. God Dethroned (🇳🇱) - Illuminati (Metal Blade Records), Blackened Death Metal
IV. Vananidr (🇸🇪) - Hunter (Independent), Melodic Blackened Death Metal
V. Carcass (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Under The Scalpel Blade (Nuclear Blast), Death Metal
VI. Vredehammer (🇳🇴) - Aggressor (Indie Recordings), Blackened Death Metal
VII.  Avertia (🇳🇴) - Det Glemte Folket (Independent), Black Metal
VIII. Revel In Flesh (🇩🇪) - The Hour Of The Avenger (War Anthem Records), Death Metal
IX. The Stone (🇷🇸) - Bogovi Od Srebra (Mizantropeon Records), Black Metal
X. Gorgoroth (🇳🇴) - Radix Malorum (Independent), Black Metal

Albums Of The Week

I. Ragnarok (🇳🇴) - Non Debellicata (Agonia Records), Black Metal
II. Halphas (🇩🇪) - The Infernal Path Into Oblivion (Folter Records), Black Metal
III. Crest Of Darkness (🇳🇴) - The God Of Flesh (My Kingdom Music), Blackened Death Metal
IV. Splattered (🇺🇸) - Carnivortex (Independent), Brutal Death Metal
V. Saor (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿) - Guardians (Fortriu Productions), Atmospheric Black Metal

Throwback Of The Week

This week's throwback is takes me back to 2014 when I first heard this band. Initially I thought they were a joke and couldn't really get into them at first. However after further listening I loved how quintessentially English they are, with songs like Bangers & Mosh, I'll Snap Your Fucking Head Clean Off and We Love Dicks. This week's throwback is;

The Hell (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿) - Groovehammer (Prosthetic Records), Hardcore


Weekly Listening Playlist

Comments